Hartge Wing too long for trunk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hartge Wing too long for trunk

So I just bought a Hartge rear wing and its 2.5" too long. I measured the length of my trunk and it came out to 51 inches, while the wing was roughly 53.5 inches.

I'm thinking my only 2 options are sell the wing or figure a way to cut out 2.5 inches of the middle of the wing and reattach it. Let me hear some input on what the best route to take would be

And while im at it, how the fuck do you get the trunk spoiler off? There's like hexagonal plastic pieces holding the bolts down or whatever, I can't figure what tool to use that will fit the holes...

-Parker
    '91 Brilliantrot 318iS - Sold
    '95 e34 s50 Touring - P/O
    '87 Alpine White 325iS - Current

10 mm socket to get the plastic nuts off.

and it sounds like you might have bought the wing off another BMW, not an e30.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerpirate View Post
      10 mm socket to get the plastic nuts off.

and it sounds like you might have bought the wing off another BMW, not an e30.
      weird... the 10 mm socket wasn't doing anything and I could only fit the piece through the 2 large holes on the 2 corners.

That's what I'm thinking. The seller said nothing about it not fitting an e30. Good thing he was local!

Comment

I had a knockoff wing with the holes at the very edge of the trunk, and it overlapped onto the rear quarter. could this be the case?

Comment

It bolts to the trunk, I have one.

S54B32 swap in progress. Status: Getting There

Comment

Farbin, I just ran outside to see if that was the problem, and it looks to be. The holes will fit on the ftrunk, but then there is a little over an inch of overlay onto the quarter panels.

My wing has a Hartge stamp on the bottom with like a 5 or 6 number code, did yours have this?

Comment

The real Hartge wing hangs way over onto the rear quarterpanels
              Originally posted by Gruelius
              and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Originally posted by Beastolizer View Post
                Farbin, I just ran outside to see if that was the problem, and it looks to be. The holes will fit on the ftrunk, but then there is a little over an inch of overlay onto the quarter panels.

My wing has a Hartge stamp on the bottom with like a 5 or 6 number code, did yours have this?

Yep, don't stress, thats what r3v is for.

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                  Yep, don't stress, thats what r3v is for.
                  So what would you guys suggest I do?

I really want this wing on my car :curse:

Comment

It will mount up, don't whig out. You will have to drill the holes aprox 1/2-3/8" from the outside lip of the trunk. then bolt it down. You could add pics to this thread just to be sure...

Comment

Originally posted by Farbin Kaiber View Post
                      It will mount up, don't whig out. You will have to drill the holes aprox 1/2-3/8" from the outside lip of the trunk. then bolt it down. You could add pics to this thread just to be sure...
                      ...what happens to the ~1" hanging over the rear quarter panel? Cause it doesn't appear that It's going to sit flush on the rear-quarter panel?

Oh well...this wing is hot and I'm gonna go for it anyway. Now I need to start gathering my painting supplies and do the prep work! :D

Comment

Bootlid Spoilers like this are very commonly attached not only by the 10mm nuts, but also by double sided tape. I don't want to be responsible for breaking any mounting brackets on it, but if you don't care about the car the spoiler is currently on, take a putty knife and start from the end to see if white stuff starts peeling off. Chances are by now the tape is as hard as rock but it will crumble off bit by bit with the putty knife.

Comment

it will sit onto the quarter, unless this is some strange spoiler no one has ever seen.

edit:

does it look like this?

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

Comment

real Hartge wing

Originally posted by Gruelius
                            and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

^^^ That is what mine looked like, the link is the other possible option.

Comment

Working...
                              X