Racing Dynamics Rear Apron owners, give me some help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Racing Dynamics Rear Apron owners, give me some help

So the RD Apron is being fitted on my car, but the fit is pretty horrible. Both ends do not come all the way around the rear valence (if that makes any sense)

Overall, I love the looks of it, but I know that the poor fit is going to haunt me for the rest of my life.

What did you guys have to do to get these things to fit properly?
    ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

hmm, i have a rd apron ready to be fitted to a plastic bumper and it (the apron) extends past the ends on the bumper. do you have the new flimsy urethane version?

Comment

Well looks like the car or the apron is gonna require some major surgey before it fits nicely. The fit isn't terrible by all means, and it fits as good as some aftermarket bodykit on most cars, but I want it to fit better.
      I have seen some pics, and in some pictures, I can tell that the fit is pretty poor. I think Etasport got his to fit real nice, so maybe he can chime in and help me out.

I'm probably gonna take it to a reputable shop and see if they can help me out.
      ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Look at Ryan's!
        -Peter
        '86 S52 coupe | Cotm: 6/18
        '91 318is slicktop project
        '14 F15 X5 35d M Sport
        '00 Tundra

Comment

Keep in mind, you attempting to have it installed OVER the exsiting 88+ rear apron, which is a stock part of the unibody on late-model E30's. Every E30 I've seen it installed on was a pre-88 E30, which had the much smaller rear apron below the bumper, hardly visible. This could be causing part of the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Eurospeed88
            Keep in mind, you attempting to have it installed OVER the exsiting 88+ rear apron, which is a stock part of the unibody on late-model E30's. Every E30 I've seen it installed on was a pre-88 E30, which had the much smaller rear apron below the bumper, hardly visible. This could be causing part of the problem.
            ya you are absolutey right. Weird though, because on the RD site, it is fitted on the plastic bumper E30 :?

Currently, it looks like shit, but it will be taken care of shortly. I'm hoping to find a good shop, and get them to shave down the stock apron. I don't wanna get any other rear aprons, I just love the RD one, and it's either this or nothing.

If after talking to the shop they say that they won't be able to fit it properly, the apron is gonna be up for sale :)
            ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Originally posted by royalflush313
              ya you are absolutey right. Weird though, because on the RD site, it is fitted on the plastic bumper E30 :?

Currently, it looks like shit, but it will be taken care of shortly. I'm hoping to find a good shop, and get them to shave down the stock apron. I don't wanna get any other rear aprons, I just love the RD one, and it's either this or nothing.

If after talking to the shop they say that they won't be able to fit it properly, the apron is gonna be up for sale :)
              At the time the pic you are referring to was taken, RD had the money to have it fitted any way they desired. Rule #1 of modification: Anything is possible with time and money.

If in fact you DO end up having to sell the apron, hit me up. I understand yours is NOT the fiberglass replica?

Comment

At the time the pic you are referring to was taken, RD had the money to have it fitted any way they desired. Rule #1 of modification: Anything is possible with time and money.

If in fact you DO end up having to sell the apron, hit me up. I understand yours is NOT the fiberglass replica?
                nope, it's the real deal. But I'm gonna spend the time and money to get it right. I love the look. From far away, my car looks awesome with the IS lip, splitter, skirts and RD apron. But when I come close to it, i wanna barf on it then push it down the ditch.

thanks for the help man. 8)
                ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

[nope, it's the real deal. But I'm gonna spend the time and money to get it right. I love the look. From far away, my car looks awesome with the IS lip, splitter, skirts and RD apron. But when I come close to it, i wanna barf on it then push it down the ditch.

thanks for the help man. 8)
                  Not a problem, dood. Good luck. :up:

Comment

Considering the Eurostyle M-tech II cover now? ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
                      Considering the Eurostyle M-tech II cover now? ;)
                      nah, I'd either go stock or the RD apron. I just gotta see how much it's gonna cost me, if it's outrageous, it's not worth it - I wanna get rid of this car soon and get a M3.

I am considering the Eurostyle Rieger replica lip though, those look pretty nice. But I already have my mint IS lip and splitter, so it's doubtful.
                      ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

how much do these things go for?
                        Originally posted by blunt
                        can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

Yeah they're all trying to get me to buy the Infinity lip up here, but it's just not a realistic piece for a street-bound car that is lowered. Besides being taller, the angle it has really makes it vulnerable.

Good luck with whatever you do. Remember that nothing fits like OEM, stock rules.

Comment

So we are sure that the RD rear apron will not fit post facelift cars?
                            Royal, do you have any pictures of what is actually interfering with the RD apron?
                            I was about to order a RD apron before reading this thread. I got a 3/88 post facelift..

Comment

Originally posted by PeterCip
                              So we are sure that the RD rear apron will not fit post facelift cars?
                              Royal, do you have any pictures of what is actually interfering with the RD apron?
                              I was about to order a RD apron before reading this thread. I got a 3/88 post facelift..
                              it fits, it's currently on my car. It's just that, it will take more work to fit it on than pre-facelist E30s. As you can see, the fit looks like poo on a stick. Not much better than the local ricers with their Veilside bodykit.

here's a pic:

I'm sure some people would be satisfied with this fit, but I'm not. So I'm gonna take it into a shop. I'm thinking about lifting it up just a tad bit, and molding it onto the bumper below the bumper trim (if that makes any sense).
                              I just need to find myself a good shop.
                              ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Working...
                              X