Hood alignment + Fender question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hood alignment + Fender question

Hey guys. I have a couple questions regarding some body panel issues.

1) How does one align a hood? The passenger side of my *new to me* hood sits up a little high. When the latch assembly is NOT on (the front folding thing, sorry of that is the wrong term) it sits flat. When the latch is on, it doesn't. Could my latch be damaged?

2) Are there different fenders for an 84 to 86? I bought a fender from a 84 318i coupe, and I have an 86 325e coupe. They mostly looked the same, until I got it painted and tried putting my grill on. There is a ~3/4" gap between the grill and the fender. RealOEM shows the same fender PN for an 84, 86, and 91 coupe. Same with the grill, its all the same PN. So maybe this fender was 'modified' in the past? Maybe that explains the hood not sitting flush either? But then why does the hood sit flush when the latch isn't present?

3) Nose panel. #7 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...34&hg=41&fg=10 Mine was every so slightly tweaked, so I bought the one from the 84. The one on the 84 looks exactly like that diagram. My 86, and my friends 91 coupe, both have a single piece that is a combination of the 7 & 8. What's up with that? Thankfully mine bent back without any visible issues, but WTF?

Thanks for any input!
    :wgaf:

PNW BMW Crew ///
    '93 325iS
    '99 528iT

for #1, there are 2 blk rubber bump stops on the core support/radiator support. youll find them, tighten/lower/turn right which side is up too high. although i cant figure out what you mean. take a pic?

2: the fenders should be the same unless you got it off a vert, which you didnt. so thats all about fitment and tweaking...

3:is #7 the strip between the bumper and grills? if so ive never seen it in 2 pieces. always a 1 piece valence...but it real oem says so..

Comment

Thanks for the reply jw.

#1: I'll get a picture. The rubber stops do zero to adjust the profile of the hood. We're going to swap on another hood hinge, and maybe that will help slightly.

#2: I think its just damaged. Again, I'll get a picture.

#3: I have a 2pc from the 84. #7 is the unlisted part, that has a # in the picture, and no PN. I've never seen one before. FTL, as I have a spare now. Thankfully, my car's original panel bent back into shape with zero damage.
      :wgaf:

PNW BMW Crew ///
      '93 325iS
      '99 528iT

Comment

ah here it is..
        to adjust ones hood..the front you would loosen the hood hinge bolts, loosen dont remove; and make adjustments left right up down etc. if its closer to the windshield, then loosen the catch bolts, raising and lowering the catch to make your adjustments. when its nice and flush, tighten the bolts.

Comment

Working...
        X