e28 wing install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

e28 wing install

before i start, i wanted to mention that i HAVE used the search button, but in an effort not to bring a thread from the grave have started a new one.

i bought an e28 mt-1 wing that i want to install, but as you know the holes won't line up and new ones need to be drilled. fine. but i don't want a jillion holes and i know that the e28 is not only wider, but sits further forward as well. i don't think anyone has created an actual template yet, and i'm worried about making 'swiss cheese' of my lid. i could use the paper sheet method, but it's hard to know exactly what angle will fit snugly as the bolts won't allow you to sit the spoiler flush.

tips/advice PLEASE!!

best,

mike

it was pretty gross getting the is wing off..

as you can see, the bolts won't line up

on lid, unmounted. stumped.
    1989 325is / 2.7, 274 cam, e30 M3 5-lug
    1989 LN106 Hilux / 3.0TD SFA
    1974 2002tii / stock
    2002 IS300 / 5spd LSD

Find a scrap trunk close by(someone in cali must have one) and experiment. You might have swiss cheese by the time you're done. But it will look sweet once the template is done.
    1988 325ic **sold**
    1989 325iX sedan - On the roads again- DD

Comment

apply paint or gum to the wing, place where the wing sits and then drill what's left on the trunk - that's how we mounted a ton of shit in the race car I built last year

91 318i | 87 535iS

Comment

I used a piece of cardboard and made a template its very easy...
        sigpic
        1986 "C2 2.7 Alpina" Sedan
        1987 325ic Black Vert
        1986 327i Red Track Car RIP 10/10/10
        1989 325is Henna S50 track car SOLD

Transaction feedback here please!!
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=170548

Comment

You can get the mounting template for any wing from the dealership, they can usually print it out for you, or order it.

Comment

I remember there being something on mye28.com where someone was drilling for a spoiler. There is a factory template that has a ton of measurements to get it perfect. Search there. I think it was in a link or something.
            1974.5 Jensen Healey : 2003 330i/5

Comment

Working...
            X