Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I Painted my IS Spoiler and it Caught on Fire!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I Painted my IS Spoiler and it Caught on Fire!

Because I'm an idiot!

So I scored a near perfect IS spoiler for $15 at the junkyard. All it needed was a fresh coat of paint.

Yesterday I spent 2 hours meticulously wet sanding it to perfection.

Then I set up a stand to paint it that only touched the middle of the under side of spoiler. Next I turned up the open flame propane heater in my garage to bring the temp up to 60 degrees. I applied 3 coats of Adhesion Promoter, let that dry and then started with the bumper coat. The first 3 coats went on perfect. Nice light and even. I should have stopped there, but I noticed a few uneven spots where the spoiler curves in at the back.

It went down hill from here. I stood the spoiler upright so the back would be flat. Then I applied a thicker coat to fill in the unevenness. It worked like a charm until I accidentally bumped the spoiler and it fell on the cat hair covered carpet I was using as a drop cloth below my stand. I lunged to catch it but it was too late. I fumbled with it before I dropped it, which just added fingerprints.

I tried to save it, by plucking out the cat hairs with tweezers and smoothing the fingerprints with more paint. Of course, it only made it worse. I knew it would! With a fresh night of sleep I tried a more rational approach by re-sanding the worst of it and re-spraying. No joy! I knew it was lost, but I pressed on. With each coat of paint it got worse.

At this point it was still usable. The most uneven parts were in the rear indent of the spoiler. All I would have to do is ignore the imperfections, but no, I pressed on continuing the train wreck. I knew the damage was done, but clung to the delusional hope that I could save it. I hit it with a few more passes causing a semi-hardened layer of paint sludge to form over the distortions. All it did was highlight the unevenness. I was getting impatient and the paint was too thick to dry. In an act if shear brilliance I held the wet spot close to my heater. It was about 18 inches away, but that was enough to ignite the flammable molasses turning the spoiler into a handheld torch. In another act of brilliance I blew the fire out quick, my face was fine, but the spoiler was not.

The fire had caused spider cracks in the paint along a two-foot swath of the right rear of the spoiler. This would not hide easily. Luckily I had to stop at this point to go to work. The question is where do I go from here. I’m tempted to just wet sand the affected area with 800 grit and blend it in. I think it’s possible to get it close. Here's a few pics:

The Good

The Bad

Think I can save it?
    Last edited by Cloudbase; 12-18-2010, 10:43 PM.
    JOY IS AN E30...

i was about to say.... fire what!!!
    Bought parts from me before? leave your feedback here

Comment

You can definitely save it. Just sand, re-spray, and be more careful. The top looks phenomenal and all you have to do is do the same to the back side.
      '87 Zinno 325e

Comment

You can. I would sand the shit out of it, spray some filler primer, sand that down to a smooth surface then spray the black over that.
        harry/harout

Comment

why not just sand the whole thing down to a level where all the blemishes are gone and respray?
          8380 Laboratories
          M3 Champs Poster

Comment

Paint stripper might be an easy option. I highly recommend Mar-Hyde Tal-Strip. Then just primer and paint.

Comment

Paint stripper over RUBBER?

Andrew, methinks your brain is broken.

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Yeah I don't think stripper would be good on rubber. I sanded down through the worst of it yesterday. Holy cow that bumper coating is thick stuff. It took forever to get through it. I've put three coats on it and I'm not sure I'm satisfied yet. I'm gonna hit it with one more before work and make a decision tonight if I want to live with it or start over.
                JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Finished...

JOY IS AN E30...

Comment

Working...
                  X