Painting an engine bay Tips/Discussion Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Painting an engine bay Tips/Discussion Needed

After what seems like forever the engine bay of the e30 is ready to be painted. I smoothed out some of the metal where brackets and such were removed with some body filler and its pretty much to the point I feel where I can start to lay down a color. I have never used a paint gun but want to give it a try and if it works out learn to paint a fender or new bumper.

Here is the area I want to paint. There is lots of exposed metal so I assume I need some kind of sealer and then a primer and then paint and then clear. Having never painted or used a paint gun I obviously need some pointers so thats the point of this thread.

First Air.

I have a air compressor though it is a touch on the small side. 1hp 12 gallon sears model. from what Ive read air for some guns needs to be at 20 to 25 psi I assume this will be enough as Im not painting the whole car just the engine bay.

Paint Gun.

I am looking at the internet there are a huge variety in whats available. I will never paint a car going to Sema, I really just want to paint small parts or engine bays, engine blocks, that type of thing so if someone can point me in the direction of a gun that meets these needs and is under say $100 thats where I want to be.

Paint supplies

Im am not sure exactly the materials that are needed but I know a sealer for the bare metal is needed. Then of course paint and assorted mixing agents but Ill need help with amounts and such before Im ready to go.

Cost

What I'm wondering as well is after buying Paint assorted materials, masking tape, paper, etc etc is it just cheaper to shop a paint shop for this type of thing or longterm cost will way out. As mentioned I wont be painting lots of things so possible three -4 major uses out of all this stuff worth the cost of owner ship.

Quality.

Can a novice with the proper instruction paint using a spray gun without making a disaster?

General paint discussion welcome and any tips info appreciated. I will update this thread sort of as a mini project paint thread so I can keep track of it.
    1991 e30 328i M52 swapped: Gone
    1995 e34 540i/6 1 of 76 Clean
    1985 e28 euro 525i the daily

Huge pic but good work.
    prep (spirits)
    sealer
    primer
    sand
    prime
    sand
    paint
    sand
    paint
    paint
    wet sand
    clear
    clear
    wet sand

12 gallon should be fine just do one side at a time.
    show us results

Comment

Are you going to use a can or spray gun?

Comment

Working...
      X