Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chunk o' Granite + e30 on interstate... Paint Fix Suggestions?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chunk o' Granite + e30 on interstate... Paint Fix Suggestions?

Hey Paint pros -
    Alright, so story is that I was on 285W on Saturday night. Chuggin' along and a work van towing a granite countertop strapped to their trailer got over in front of me. Well, we crossed a bridge, trailer bounced, and a foot-long chunk of granite came barrelling down the interstate. Luckily enough, I managed to avoid getting hit in the front, but the chunk sideswiped my driver's door and left some nice scratches, down to the metal. Other bits left some nice pits in my windshield. It could have been so much worse....

So, the question is what's the best way to patch up the paint? I have some delphin paint left over from a couple years back... what's the process to get this patched up and looking decent?

Thanks for the recommendations,
    John

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.8.11 e30_3.5.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	7219275

Name:	1.8.11 e30_1.5.jpg
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	7219276

Name:	1.8.11 e30_2.5.jpg
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	7219277
    '87 Delphin OBDI S52, 5-lug 325is-SOLD
    '81 CJ-7 w/ SBC 350 conversion

A.D.D. mastermind...

Im no paint guy, but good job on avoiding that granite...granite aint no joke.
    90 535i
    5spd, M5 front seats, M5 rear bar,H&R Sports, Miller maf conversion

Comment

i bet you can shatter that ruler.

short of getting it professionally sanded/primed/filled/repainted, you could order the tube of touch up paint from bmw which matches your car and just fill it up with that.

down to the metal = no amount of detail work can bring it back. personally, i've done some DIY painting and wouldnt dare try and spray anything on the center of a panel like that and try to blend it. either touch up tube stuff, or repaint the whole door.

Comment

^ especially on a silver car. It is about the hardest color there is to match.

Comment

The best way to fix that is to pull over and get the trucks insurance information and tell them they will be covering the damage.

(I know that wasn't helpful)
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

It's true though. Shoulda chased that fucker down.

"Its preparations are concealed, not published. Its mistakes are buried not headlined. Its dissenters are silenced, not praised. No expenditure is questioned, no rumor is printed, no secret is revealed."

John F. Kennedy

Comment

Thanks guys.... funny thing is that I got all the license plate information and would have followed them off the exit and get them to pull over. My wife freaked out when I started following the guy, so I decided not to hassle with it (I do realize it was my best shot at getting the other guy's insurance to cover the damage).

I'm going to get in touch with Precinct 3 Cobb County Police Dept and see what they can do (most likely nothing). Most likely I'll make it look as good as I can with the leftover Delphin paint I have and just be grateful it didn't do anymore damage than it did.

No way any of you have access to finding out who the owner of a van is, if I provide the license plate number and county - is there?????? :)
              '87 Delphin OBDI S52, 5-lug 325is-SOLD
              '81 CJ-7 w/ SBC 350 conversion

A.D.D. mastermind...

Comment

Working...
              X