replace rear bumper cover: oem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

replace rear bumper cover: oem

After a minor accident, my rear (factory plastic) bumper was cracked. I ordered a new bumper cover and trim pieces from the dealer. Their part number and Bavarian Autosport's number matched, as did the illustrations. I painted the cover and installed it along with the trim pieces, and was trying to put the side marker lights in when I found a problem: the new cover wasn't made with two holes on each side: it only has one rectangular hole on each side, and no hole for the wiring harness and backside of the side marker lights to fit into. I checked the factory and BavAuto illustrations and they only show one hole per side. Thinking I was confused, I looked at my old bumper cover and it has two rectangular holes per side, and they aren't cut out...they're molded in. On the inner side of each hole, a "lip" or "valance" of sorts is molded into the plastic, I guess to deflect water off of the backside of the marker light and harness. (I've attached a photo I found on this site which shows the bumper with two holes). The part the factory is sending has the larger hole toward the rear wheel, but not the smaller hole toward the back. Has BMW stopped shipping the proper part and now I'll have to cut a hole so the marker light will fit? Even then, it won't have the plastic lip to protect the rear of the light, like it did from the factory.
    This is one of those, "all signs say i have the right part" yet the new part isn't quite like the old part. Anyone else run into this?

flip the marker light 180*?

Full Build Thread Here

Comment

Or you could buy rear euro trim and ditch the side marker lights all together...

but really to answer your question, you probably have the euro version of the bumper cover or perhaps they stopped making the US style with the cutouts. You most likely will have to make the cutouts yourself or trade the bumper for a used US spec bumper cover if it's an issue.

Comment

Ok so maybe the cover with 2 holes is no longer offered.
        Who knows? Who cares?

Use what you have, no need to cut in an entire 2nd hole.
        You can just notch out the end that the light socket comes through.
        Grind it out a bit and it will work.

E30 M3 / E30 325is / E34 525iT / E34 535i

Comment

Working...
        X