Modest paintgun setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Modest paintgun setup?

So this summer I have a lot of little things I want to paint/touch up. Valence, various trim, fender, trunk, blah blah blah.

I know literally nothing about paint/bodywork.

I don't want to just rattle can it, sooooooo school me on paint equipment. I don't even know what expensive stuff is. If I can get a top of the line setup for 150, that would be sweet.

What setups do you guys have? What specs should I be paying attention to? Stuff like that.

So fire away! Thanks for any/all input.

Originally posted by stewie30luvr
    ooo cause i was fixing my chain tensioner and there was a black widow on the radiator so i killed it
    Originally posted by JakeP
    with a coathanger

Originally posted by jasonsnoddy View Post
    So this summer I have a lot of little things I want to paint/touch up. Valence, various trim, fender, trunk, blah blah blah.

I know literally nothing about paint/bodywork.

I don't want to just rattle can it, sooooooo school me on paint equipment. I don't even know what expensive stuff is. If I can get a top of the line setup for 150, that would be sweet.

What setups do you guys have? What specs should I be paying attention to? Stuff like that.

So fire away! Thanks for any/all input.
    You need an air compressor for starters, and an air hose. As far as guns, you can use a cheap one from harbor freight, get the gravity fed one, it has the little tank on top. Most people call it the purple gun. Its 16 bucks, but you can sometimes get it for 8, its cheap, but gets the job done. You can look up some reviews on it if you want. You will also want to get a drier for the compressor, which keep air out of the lines, it isnt necessary, but most people like one. An adjustable valve for air pressure to the gun.

Thats just the stuff to be able to paint, now you have to get filler(bondo) and primer(Im using heavy build because it masks up scratches and such easier without having to use as much filler). Then for the paint, decide if you are going single stage or double stage(base coat and clear). You will also need to get activators for the paint, assuming it is automotive paint, and reducers.

Youll also need masking tape, and newspapers to mask with, a mixing cup for the paint(for ratios when adding activator & reducers to paint), mask so you dont huff fumes all day long, a drop cloth if its inside, somewhere dry, and thats all I can think of.

Basically, do a ton of research before hand, but it honestly isn't too tough. It's your first time, and it will seem overwhelming, but once you jump into it, it doesnt get too bad. And for the paint to look good it's all in the prep work, so take your time!

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Alrighty thanks, that's pretty much all I wanted to know!

Originally posted by stewie30luvr
      ooo cause i was fixing my chain tensioner and there was a black widow on the radiator so i killed it
      Originally posted by JakeP
      with a coathanger

Comment

Originally posted by jasonsnoddy View Post
        Alrighty thanks, that's pretty much all I wanted to know!
        No problem! Im painting now, and it's an interesting experience to say the least:p

'73 2002 m20 turbo [sold] '87 rat rod 325is [couch modded] '91 vert [daily] '88 325is [spec build v1] '84 325 [spec build v2] '99 323i vert [sold]

Comment

Working...
        X