FLAT BLACK Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FLAT BLACK Help

My car is oxidized, some rust and paint is chipping... That is why I want to paint it flat black and the shop quoted me 1500.. oh, and that's included full body repair.. Can someone tell me how to prep and tools needed for this kind of job.. I'm very inexperienced and I would need a LOT of help. Any link to a well written up guide or some nice fellow that is very experienced or have a thorough knowledge to take their time to write their thread for me.. I would greatly appreciate it..

Also.. I just found out the paintscratch is selling oem paints in a spray can. I was wondering if this is a better route than flat black..

Thanks again. Hopefully I will hear from any of you guys.. :-)
    Last edited by june3o; 04-21-2011, 07:32 AM.

It would be pretty expensive to go that route. I think for a can of brilliantrot it was like $65, but that included base and clear too. If you want to do a flat black finish it's not that hard. You can use rattle can and make it look good. It's all in prep work and taking your time and a good quality paint helps. For the panels that aren't damaged I would sand with 320 then go over with a scotch brite pad, wipe it down thoroughly and start painting. Years back Sport Compact car magazine did an STi all rattle canned black. It actually looked good and I know they had it online for awhile...to lazy this morning to search.
    91 318is M50 swapped
    05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

I'm thinking of doing the same thing, very inexperienced as well , I would like to see what route you go , cause I might just follow your lead

Just out trying to build some boost !!
      Stroked and blown 328i @ 15psi

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
        It would be pretty expensive to go that route. I think for a can of brilliantrot it was like $65, but that included base and clear too.
        Yeah.. my car is Dschwartz and a can of basecoat paint is $24.. and how many of that I'm going to be needing... plus I gotta practice a little bit and maybe waste a can..

Comment

Find the John Deere flat black paint.

Will be the best mix of cheap/durable/easyish to work with.
          Need parts now? Need them cheap? steve@blunttech.com
          Chief Sales Officer, Midwest Division—Blunt Tech Industries

www.gutenparts.com
          One stop shopping for NEW, USED and EURO PARTS!

Comment

if you have a air compressor and a decent spray gun, harbor freight may work depends on how you spray it, go to an automotive paint store and ask for their PCL single stage flat black.

Comment

The John Deer stuff everyone used is called "Blitz Black". I know cause I pained my GTI with it. Its not as completely flat as a primer would give you, its almost satin, and it lasts a lot longer than some crappy flat black spray bomb job.
              Just something to think about.....I also had to search far and wide to actuall find some of the stuff.....good luck!

24V M50, M3 cams, Turner Tune, full exhaust, ect....

Comment

I painted mine with Krylon satin black several years ago and it’s held up pretty well. My friend did his with the cheapest flat black primer he could find and it came out looking like crap… it also started rusting through quickly in some areas as primer will absorb moisture.

To do a whole car in rattle can is a bit tedious as the spray pattern is much smaller then you can get with a proper gun. Next time I will probably at least get a harbor freight gun and buy my paint from an automotive paint supplier. Although it is nice to go to the local hardware store and grab a can off the shelf when you need to fix a dent or scratch real quick.

If you’re considering matching you factory paint color you can get your specific paint code mixed and put into spray cans for about $10 a can with a 6-7 can minimum buy. I just did the front valance, bumper, hood and one fender with 3 cans of alpine white II from Sherman Williams. It’s not perfect but unless your 6” form the paint looking for imperfections it looks decent.

Good luck with whatever you choose!
                Last edited by lovnbmws; 03-10-2012, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I did the blitz black...now I regret it and I am looking for someone to repaint it..

If I cant find anyone, looks like prepping and to Maaco I go...

Comment

Originally posted by Chrisv006 View Post
                    I did the blitz black...now I regret it and I am looking for someone to repaint it..

If I cant find anyone, looks like prepping and to Maaco I go...
                    Bring it to me. Seriously. There's no reason to put a bad paintjob over a previous bad paintjob - you'll only have to spend that much more to strip off all the extra paint when you finally decide to do it right.
                    I'm in N.E.Ga. near Commerce. Folks have brought their car to me to paint from as far away as Ohio. I don't have much overhead so I can do it cheaper than bigger shops.
                    You can email me at ImThaDriver at yahoo.

~ Paul
                    aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Comment

Sent you an email! Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Working...
                      X