painting a rough e30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

painting a rough e30

I recently got an e30 its flat black and there is some rust spots on the hood and wheel wells, nothing major. I really don't want to dump a ton of money in this car, yet I don't want it to look like crap. I love working with my hands. Anyone got any ideas? whats the best affordable way to a DIY paint job?

regardless of what kind of paint job you go with 95% of the work is prep. Get a DA sander and plenty of paper and go to town.

Read up on roller jobs, or if you have a garage or can build a temporary tent like structure and have access to an air compressor I'd invest in a cheap harbor freight spray gun. gallon of primer + gallon of single stage paint from a body shop supply store is like $200-400 depending on how high quality you go. If you prep properly you won't mind dropping that kinda money on paint. If you don't prep properly it's gonna look like shit regardless. I'm thinking of doing the same thing to my rusty IX but I have about 4 million more important things to do, and I like not giving 2 shits about it so rusty and partially flat black it will probably stay.

Comment

It takes a lot of time to prep a car right for paint. After doing all that work, I suggest you prime/seal it with PPG epoxy (DP) primer, & at least go with a quality but cheaper Nason base/clear. That's what I have on mine: http://angelonearth.net/BMW.html
      You can rent a compressor if you don't have one.
      HTH,
      ~ Paul
      aka "Tha Driver"

Custom Fiberglass Parts

Comment

Working...
      X