Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Retrofitting an 89+ E30 with an 86es Airdam/valence ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Retrofitting an 89+ E30 with an 86es Airdam/valence ?

Hi, I may have an 86es airdam available and a friend wants to buy it and retrofit it onto his 89+ because he likes the look of the older style airdam/valence better.

Has anyone done this?
    Could you fit the older valence in front of the 89 stock valence, or
    would you have to remove the 89 valence (isn't it welded in)?

Please help. We will post pics if it is successful.
    '86 325 original owner for 20 years * SOLD *
    '86 325es * SOLD *
    '05 Honday Odyssey Minivan.

I think you can just stick the air dam itself on underneath the plastics. Its been done before.

Jordan or Josh Have pics. I like it personally.

Sold it.

Comment

any updates on this, has this been done before?

Comment

Originally posted by Red325es
        any updates on this, has this been done before?
        Yes, someone posted a pic a while back. I can't say I liked it though.

Comment

I was wondering the same thing... I need a picture

Comment

Ya, does anybody have a picture of this? I've been thinking about doing this. I've become quite attatched to my front valence and would like to keep it because I prefer the two brake ducts on either side instead of 4 across on the bottom. And to tell myself it will always be an old eta...

Comment

It looks like shit. It doesn't fit worth a damn.

The curvature of the plastic bumper and the old iS valance is completely different and they don't follow one another around the car.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
              https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                It looks like shit. It doesn't fit worth a damn.

The curvature of the plastic bumper and the old iS valance is completely different and they don't follow one another around the car.
                My microsoft paint interpretation of what you just said.

You mean the plastic bumper is straighter across than the old valences, meaning the center of the old valence will appear to stick out foward farther than the sides? I expect the old valences would be wide enough or could made wider to wrap around the car nicely. I pester you because i'm not familiar with '89+ bumpers.

Comment

You have the right idea sir, the drawing is pretty much the idea except the old airdam is actually even with bumper in the middle, while the sides of the airdam are way tucked in to reach to the back of the wheel well.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                  https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

tell him to get some 89-91 cabrio bumpers etc then he can put it on there
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                    Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by NC325iC
                      tell him to get some 89-91 cabrio bumpers etc then he can put it on there
                      Why will those work? What's the difference?

Comment

bump^

Comment

thats my 89 325ic if you cant figure out why it fits so well here ask again.
                          Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
                          Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Working...
                          X