Harm in a $500 paint job?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Harm in a $500 paint job?

I'm faced with a small dilemma. My Calypso 325i looks like total shit. 20+ years of paint neglect, its faded, scratched in places...not even a "500 footer" at best. I've spent hundreds of hours with a DA sander, pads, compounds, and it doesn't last.

WAAAAY down the road I'd like to eventually do an entire resto to my car, and at that point I'd be down to spit a few thousand for a nice factory quality Calypso respray done right.

Question is, is there any harm in getting a cheapy paint job in the meantime, just to make it a little less embarrassing to drive around? Will this have any negative affects down the road when I do the resto?

What if cheapy paint job isn't calypso, just a standard red?
    sigpic
    Parts Wanted
    The Never-ending Resto Mod

RAT ROD THAT SHIT.

Lol just kidding. Obviously there's no harm in getting a respray, it's good to keep the car covered up from any rust. However, depending on the caliber of the paint job, you may have even more prep to do down the line.

See if you can do all the prep yourself now, that is what is going to make a $500 paint job work. Straight panels with extremely smooth well sanded primed surfaces will make it negative effect free.
    REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

Calypso seems to fall apart more than any of the other colors. The problems I had from the cheap respray the PO did mostly involved pieces getting painted that shouldn't have and bits of trim that were broken or not installed right. I don't think it could do that much harm if the factory job is already toast. But you only get one factory paint job...
      sigpic
      -Sean : 91 Calypso 325i : Castro Motorsports SoCal Spec E30 #33

Comment

The only real drawback to a respray is having to prep it all over again. You don't really want to spray on top of a respray, so the second time will take a lot more time.

If your cool with that, then there's no real issue. If you've spent hundreds of hours trying to clean up and bring back your orignial paint, you shouldn't have any issues with doing, or the quality of the prep work.

Get to it!

Oh, and edit. You need to consider the color matching. Depending on how much prep you want to do (So, related to my first comment) later on, will determine if you're keeping the calypso, or changing it altogether. People's opinion change, so that is something to consider now. Even if it's only just pondering about it.

Leave Me Transaction Feedback

Comment

if you do a cheap respray, chances are you'll spend more money down the road reversing the process in order to make sure your high end resto paint sticks.

respray varies in pricing because it consists of either using your existing paint as a primer or having to strip it down to the bare, prime, sand, block and paint.

Comment

Working...
          X