Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The good the bad and the ugly

Heres a thread about my cosmetic projects on my 89 325ic

Bimmerforums is the preferred online BMW Forum and community for BMW owners. At Bimmerforums, you will find technical how-to information maintenance specifics audio advice wheel and tire combinations and model specific details not found anywhere else. Our professionals are here to help make sure you find the answers you need to your questions and our community is here to help other brainstorm ideas for the future.

any comments are appreciated.

Realistically, what is your budget?

The roller paint job (mentioned on the link) has the potential to come out nice and be something you can feel proud about. "FrankM", I believe, has a full write up on this as he did it to his car.

If your car is mechanically sound, you might want to consider a paint job/body work more as an investment than an expense that you feel costs more than the value of the car. Perhaps up front it would cost you more, but a year from now, that cost would be "amortrized"; your car would still look good and it would arguably be worth more money done properly.

There are ways to get around the expensive costs of body work/paint jobs. I forget the member's name on here, but there is a person in CA spraying e30's for $800. You car looks like it needs a lot of prep work, so I'm sure you wouldn't get that price, but I bet he would work with you. You could also befriend an autobody guy, and see if he will let you work on it in his shop; ask him when business is slow and perhaps he will cut you a break to work on your car during that time or try to trade services such as volunteer at the shop.

Bottom line, if you are trying to build a quality car, I wouldn't cut corners on the body work. But I really don't know what advice you are looking for here...or if you were even soliciting for advice. lol
    Last edited by PeteD; 01-05-2012, 06:57 PM. Reason: ...added last sentence

Comment

I have actually already put all the money into paint that Im going to....
      2 cans of rustoleum.
      I think though Im going to need to buy some sandpaper to take the clearcoat off the back panels.

thats about where the budget is...

Im only painting the fender, and then the valence. Im not repainting the car the paint on most of it is fine.

Possibly the hood. It costs 50$ to get a new red hood though so well see how the fender turns out first.

there really isnt any body work to do although there are some rock dents in the passenger rear wheel well

Comment

OK. Is the white residue on your car buffing compound?

Comment

yes its wax. I will take that off because in the pictures the clear coat peeling is also coming off as white.

I see that myself. The back quarter panel is peeling off, and below that it has some wax residue.

Thats a project i need to research before i move on. I want the clear coat off, but the paint to stay.

Exactly what do i need?

Comment

as far as ways to get around the expensive costs of painting, this color is an exact match in a spray can and it costs 3.49 a can at kmart.

If someone was an expert spray painter I might pay them minimum wage to spray it on but i doubt it. I think i would pay someone minimum wage to buff it though.

Comment

heres an example of someone who painted their valence with rustoleum regal red.

Looks great. could use some clear though.

Comment

Well, you really want the clear coat on.

If you take the clear coat off you are exposing your paint to more things than it can handle, and it won't take long before it looks awful. I know, the paint looks better when you free it from the peeling clear coat - at least for now.

Get at least 500 grit sand paper - preferably 1000 and lightly wet sand it with straight strokes and semi solid backing to the paper (foam sponge). Try it in a inconspicuous spot first. Be warned, even wet sanding takes skill as you don't want to "burn" through the paint (sand into the primer). Maybe try it at the junkyard first.

Comment

once i take it off, i will just tape it up and clear coat the rear quarter panels.

If I can get it all off without damaging the paint.

ok heres the parts of the car where the clear coat is good

drivers fender, all 4 doors, and the trunk. The rear quarter panels have peeling clearcoat.

the passenger fender and the hood dont even have paint on them yet.

and the front valence.

so all Ill do is take the clear off the back, pop the hood and open the doors, tape up the top and spray clear on it.
                  Last edited by stamar; 01-05-2012, 07:44 PM.

Comment

I don't have a problem with spray canning a valence. They usually come out pretty good and blend fine - you have to sand and buff the heck out of it though.

Comment

What are you going to do about your passenger fender? You have some prep work there before you spray it.

Comment

Originally posted by stamar View Post
                        once i take it off, i will just tape it up and clear coat the rear quarter panels.

If I can get it all off without damaging the paint.
                        Well just spend another three dollars and sray a couple of coats of paint if you burn through it before you clear it.

Comment

i dont think the two paints mix like that.

Comment

Um the fender has primer on it. It could be sanded down some but its actually ready to paint. They come like that. no prep work needed.

Comment

Nice. Well good, luck with everything. Let me know how it comes out.

Comment

Working...
                              X