Paint Questions for Lip and Late Valance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Paint Questions for Lip and Late Valance

I'm looking to refinish a front valance for my car plus I have a new IS spoiler.

First question: What do people use to replicate the factory undercoating as used on the front valance and rocker panels? It seems like it is some sort of rubberized coating and would provide some protection against rock chips up front.

Second question: I'm looking for a smooth, satin black finish on the IS spoiler. However, I painted one in the past with Krylon Fusion Satin paint (or SEM trim paint?) and it DID NOT hold up well to stone chips. Within 3 months, the thing looked like it had spent a few hours under the sandblaster. What do folks use to provide some durability?

Thanks.
    '89 BMW 325is Zinnoberrot / '88 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW GTI 16v Bright Blue Metallic / '91 BMW 325i Black / '91 BMW 325i Sport Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Montana Green / '01 Audi A4 Avant TQM Silver Metallic / '01 VW Jetta GLX VR6 Black

I'm not sure about the protective coating, but I would assume that it is an additive that you put in the paint before spraying.

Regarding durability, you need to get a paint that has some strength, like a polyurethane acrylic. You can get a satin single stage paint relatively cheap (1 quart, with hardener and accelerator) in the $100 range. That would be enough to do half a car.

Single stage is nice if you're an amateur, because the color goes throughout. Any runs or sags can be wet sanded out and orbital polished.

Also, if you're spraying plastic or something that flexs, you need to add the flex agent to the paint as well. Otherwise it'll crack.

Comment

Good info. I had been thinking that perhaps the protective undercoating was some rubberized 3M type coating that was applied first and then the color coat went on top. Possibility?

I already have a quart of decent single stage PPG Shop-Line that I sprayed the hood with. I suppose that might be okay for the valance.

Also, it might be smarter for me to buy just a pint of satin black from PPG for the spoiler, since that's the only part I need the paint for. Still going to be expensive for such a small part, but clearly spray cans won't do the trick.
      '89 BMW 325is Zinnoberrot / '88 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW Jetta GLI 16v Tornado Red / '89 VW GTI 16v Bright Blue Metallic / '91 BMW 325i Black / '91 BMW 325i Sport Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Black / '92 VW GTI 16v Montana Green / '01 Audi A4 Avant TQM Silver Metallic / '01 VW Jetta GLX VR6 Black

Comment

For the IS spoiler you might try some kind of bumper trim paint. I painted my IS trunk lip spoiler with Rustoleum bumper trim paint, and it has a nice satin sheen to it. It has the flex agent already added to it and it is made for bumper trim, ie: withstanding front end abuse.

Comment

Originally posted by OnMy2ndE30 View Post
          For the IS spoiler you might try some kind of bumper trim paint. I painted my IS trunk lip spoiler with Rustoleum bumper trim paint, and it has a nice satin sheen to it. It has the flex agent already added to it and it is made for bumper trim, ie: withstanding front end abuse.
          Yeah, if I remember right, I used either Duplicolor or SEM trim paint the first time around and it withstands flexing fine, but not rock chips. I'd say in 4 months, you can see almost 50% of the grey primer beneath the black; it's horrible. The color was nice at first.

Comment

Any other thoughts? I know I'm not the first to do this.

Comment

The texture is not a additive to the paint.
              Buy paintable rubberized under coating.
              Spray that, let it dry, you can spray whatever color over it.
              If you are using a single stage paint for the saying back you CAN NOT buff it, it will not be satin if you do buff it.

Comment

Originally posted by oliver.r View Post
                If you are using a single stage paint for the saying back you CAN NOT buff it, it will not be satin if you do buff it.
                Not sure what you mean? Could you explain this, thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Cinnabar325is View Post
                  Not sure what you mean? Could you explain this, thanks!
                  His english seems to be messed up, but I think what hes getting at is not to buff the single stage paint. Basically, you will remove paint with a buffer, rather than removing clear, since there is no clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ANDRÜ View Post
                    His english seems to be messed up, but I think what hes getting at is not to buff the single stage paint. Basically, you will remove paint with a buffer, rather than removing clear, since there is no clear.
                    I see what you're saying, but I know people (me included) buff single stage paint all the time. It does remove color, true, which is why you try to go as easy as possible.

Comment

I think he means if you buff satin paint it will become gloss paint.

2012 MCSCC/NSSCC CP class champ
                      HSAX Instructor

Comment

Originally posted by akorcovelos View Post
                        I think he means if you buff satin paint it will become gloss paint.
                        Got it, yeah that makes sense. Anyone else have thoughts? What brand of rubberized coating is recommended?

Comment

Working...
                        X