What to do about this paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What to do about this paint?

The owner of this car says that he got the car repainted last year but the post-paint process of wet sanding was never performed, thus a million mini scratches appear on the paint as the picture shows. What can I do about this to get it perfect, or is it permanently fucked? Judging from the pics the car does shine decently well but the scratches would absolutely kill me to see up close. Thanks.

Originally posted by TSI
    ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
    OEM+

lolupsidedown
    Attached Files

instagram: @tonerrrr
    High resolution E30 Fuse Box 300dpi PNG

Comment

try wet sanding and compound/polish? As long as they are only scratches it should come out. I hope it wasn't a chemical reaction that occurred inside the clear.
      2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
      (Daily Driver)
      Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
      KW V2 Coilovers
      VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

if you do try to correct the clear coat, be careful of those edges. Don't want to burn through it.
        (Daily Driver)
        Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
        VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

This. Make sure u wet sand with a "soft block" to keep it even. Also be very careful on the edge because the paint tends to be thinner there.

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
          DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Hopefully those are scratches in the paint and not scratches in the primer showing through. If they are in the paint, a good cut/buff should take them all out.

Comment

Thanks for the responses everyone, I found a good local Detailer that would be willing to do the job

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
              Hopefully those are scratches in the paint and not scratches in the primer showing through. If they are in the paint, a good cut/buff should take them all out.
              any sure way to know if it's the primer showing through or not?
              Originally posted by TSI
              ♫ Rust flecks are falling on my head...♫
              OEM+

Comment

if it wet sands and is clear/ milky it is clear coat. If it is darker it is most likely primer.
                (Daily Driver)
                Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
                VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

If u hit metal or go through the clear :(

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by codyep3 View Post
                    if it wet sands and is clear/ milky it is clear coat. If it is darker it is most likely primer.
                    No. I meant primer under the paint. The primer laid down before paint should have been sanded and if they didn't use fine enough sandpaper, it would have left scratches in the primer, which would then show through the paint and clear, if there is any.

You will know it is in the primer is no amount of sanding/polishing removes them. You would have to remove clear and the base coat and THEN you would be able to sand the scratches smooth.

Comment

Paint looks metallic, so theres an extremely high chance that it's cleared. Is it on only this one spot? It looks similar to someone trying to scrub off some dirt from that spot, maybe with the hood open? If so it'll be super easy for any detailer to fix.
                      The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                      Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                      2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                      2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

The car was resprayed. Most likely it has clear dough. Unless u got a cheap stage 1 type paint job

DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                          No. I meant primer under the paint. The primer laid down before paint should have been sanded and if they didn't use fine enough sandpaper, it would have left scratches in the primer, which would then show through the paint and clear, if there is any.

You will know it is in the primer is no amount of sanding/polishing removes them. You would have to remove clear and the base coat and THEN you would be able to sand the scratches smooth.
                          if that is so, that would be the cheapest quality painter. No sanding at any stage lulz.
                          (Daily Driver)
                          Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
                          VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Working...
                          X