X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Freshing Up White Paint

this only really works for white paint.
    its an old trick but really works well.
    for white cars that have the dirt soaked into the paint.
    like if you wax a small area it looks better but its still dirty.
    almost like dry chaulk.

disclaimers, do a test area, wear gloves, dont stick your dick in a drawer and then slam it, etc.

supplies, wesleys white wall bleach [get the wesleys they are the best] which is used for when cars had whitewalls, soap, a brush to wash with, clay bar kit, good wax, a cheap waxing machine. i have a cheap power washer that saves water and helps blast the crap off.

dont do this in direct sunlight. night time is best because the water doesnt evaporate too quickly.

wash the car with car soap or dawn or whatever you use.
    get off all road tar etc...wd40 works good or use the special cleaners.
    wash it again to get off the residue from the bug stuff.
    wesley treatment. take the wesleys and spray it directly on one body part like the fender.always keep the rest of the car damp while you work on a panel at a time.
    wearing gloves is good if you want to have finger prints the next day.
    with the panel wet with wesleys, just rub it around. you could use a dishtowel or just your hand. the wesley does the work not you.
    now rinse the panel real good. you will probably see a big difference already. dont let it dry or stay on too long. when you get around the body mouldings alot of black will probably come off but it ok. you did a test area so you know. then keep the car wet and do the whole car.
    wash the car with soap again.
    wesley treatment.do the wesleys on the car but still one panel at at time. but you must rinse each panel when you are done with it. you dont want wesley sitting on the paint too long, it will cause issues.
    wash the car with soap.
    now the years of dirt is bleached out without using any compound etc so its easier and plus it takes the dirt out but leaves the paint.
    towel dry the car.
    clay bar the car. use one of the kits i use megiuars. it goes super fast.
    clay bar the car again.
    now for the wax. some waxes say they remove dead paint which is ok.
    you arent trying to do major scratch removal with regular wax. if you do want to get out scratches then use what ever system you have. thats kinda outside the scope of this diy. i like to use the cheap wax machine, it saves alot of rubbing.
    wax one panel at a time. apply the wax to a 2'x2' area and work it back and forth. the paint is gonna soak up the wax like mad. since you are probably gonna have lots of wax, wipe off the bulk then do the buff till it dries with a good towel. i hate those microfiber cloths. soft cotton is the way to go. do the whole car. then do a dry buff pass to make sure its off.
    wax one panel at a time again. then do a dry buff pass.
    clean the wax out the mouldings with a tooth brush and rag.
    detail the mouldings with black-out or armor all or whatever you have.
    clean the windows, i like invisible glass.
    spray the tire wet stuff onto the rag, not the tire. dont overdo it.
    done. drink the last beer as you admire your job.
    what you now have is paint that isnt stained and is also revived and protected with wax.
    an e30 is small so it wont take too long.
    getting the car raised with ramps or jacks or whatever makes it easier on your back.
    so now your car is looking pretty good and it really wasnt that hard.
    envy of others? remind them that its 'dont hate the palyer, hate the game.'
    good luck
    whynot
    Last edited by WhyNot; 07-31-2012, 01:01 AM.
    Originally posted by der affe
    What are you going to start a thread about next? "My woman's skinny jeans chaffe my special parts, f*ck skin irritation"
    Originally posted by navid41691
    And no, I use lotion so I don't have to worry about skin irritation.
    '...rolling balls, i'm elated, i'm going dumb now; drinking liquor i'm faded and having fun now; loaded gun and tripping with everyone around; keep me stuck in the sky, i never wanna come down...'...kabosh

you really aren't a detailer are you? Most of those steps are damaging to the paint/moldings.
    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
    (Daily Driver)
    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
    KW V2 Coilovers
    VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Originally posted by codyep3 View Post
      you really aren't a detailer are you? Most of those steps are damaging to the paint/moldings.
      im just providing a diy to clean up a terrible white car.
      it doesnt really hurt the paint if you get the wesleys off quickly and dont let it dry. i though i made that pretty clear. it works really good really fast. it just basically bleaches the crap out of the paint which make it dirty looking becuase it is dirty. thats it. i've done quite a few pos this way so i know it works. no paint or moulding ruined in the process.
      i dont get most of those steps damage? aside from the wesleys step, its washing and waxing.
      What are you going to start a thread about next? "My woman's skinny jeans chaffe my special parts, f*ck skin irritation"
      '...rolling balls, i'm elated, i'm going dumb now; drinking liquor i'm faded and having fun now; loaded gun and tripping with everyone around; keep me stuck in the sky, i never wanna come down...'...kabosh

Comment

I want to see pics yet I agree on paint dmg, but il with hold judgement for the time being

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
        DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by E30_Pare View Post
          I want to see pics yet I agree on paint dmg, but il with hold judgement for the time being

this is a white vert that was scrubbed my po but paint looked bad.
          dull, dirty, chaulky. this pic is stored in my phone

this is my car that i did twice.
          the first pic is a different car but it came out pretty close to mine.
          they are both white verts
          i walked outside and just took this one.

i understand your doubting, it makes sense. someone says whitewall cleaner on paint? wtf?
          but i have used this for a while. no issues. just dont let it dry and rinse good.
          do you think i have a body shop and i want people to ruin their paint so i'll maybe sell a job?
          its a trick i was taught and im just passing it on so maybe it might help some one else....
          whynot
          Last edited by WhyNot; 07-31-2012, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Lol pics are way too small. Just use polish to anyone reading this.

Comment

Originally posted by jw 325ic View Post
              Lol pics are way too small. Just use polish to anyone reading this.
              you can see the pics fine and if you click one it enlarges i think
              for anyone reading this, the point is that sometimes polish isnt the only way to go. thats all im trying to get across here.
              but hey if the pics are too small, or it sounds like it wont work or whatever else then dont try it. and after you dont try it keep rubbing, but just rub the dirt out and leave your twenty year paint on the car.

Comment

Hooooooly fuck this is a terrible idea. Maybe if it's completely beat and it's a last resort. But otherwise check the sticky'd thread on this page.
                Just to start off with, paint should never "soak up" wax. A much better solution would be to wash with Dawn, clay with a medium to heavy clay, polish in 2-3 stages, glaze, sealant, and wax (you can skip a few of those steps and get similar results). If your wax is drastically changing the way your paint looks you're doing something wrong. It should just add a bit of shine and protect the paint.
                The first car I ever rode in was an e30

Originally posted by Cabriolet
                Wish you the best and hope you don't remember anything after 10pm.

1992 Mauritiusblau Vert
                2011 Alpinweiss 335is coupe

2002 540i/6 Black/Black
                2003 GSX-R 750 (RIP)

Comment

(Daily Driver)
                  Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
                  VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Comment

Do you think a clay bar would get rid of tree sap?I have like 10year old tree sap that no one did anything about til I got the car and ive tried wd40,cheap hairspray,boiling water littlist bit of goof off and nothing has worked

Comment

^ easy. Isopropyl alcohol or hand sanitizer. rub in with cotton. It just melts the sap away. Keep rubbing it in til it's gone.

You'll have to wax it after though...

Sap on windows - razor blade
                        My 325iX DIY Threads:

Front Wheel Bearing Replacement

325iX Rear Subframe Bushings and MUCH more w/pics!

325iX Steering Rack Replacement, Suspension, & Oil Pan job w/pics!

Comment

Hell yes,thank you.
                          I'll take before and after pics for results.

Comment

be careful with IPA, it can really mess up the paint/clear coat.
                            (Daily Driver)
                            Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
                            VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

so far;with finger dabbed amounts on a rag its working perfectly and of course,once the sap is removed stop rubbing into your paint and it won't go any deeper.

Comment

Working...
                              X