plasti-dip a new iS lip?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

plasti-dip a new iS lip?

hey guys when i bought my car the previous owner included a brand new, in-box iS lip. its unpainted, the factory light grey-ish look. i plan on completely repainting the car eventually (don't know how long that is <1 year probably) and am unsure if i want to paint the lip black or match the rest of the car (delphin grey). for the time being, however, i thought it would be easy to just plasti-dip the lip so i wouldn't care if the paint fell off but i could get an idea of what it would look like black against the rest of the car and i would be able to drive around with it for now without looking like an idiot with a mismatched-looking painted lip
    Instagram:@himynameskevin
    sigpic

Flickr!

if you're unsure on black vs body matched, def plasti-dip. You can peel it off if you don't like it. Nothing to lose here.
    www.instagram.com/snwmble
    #snwmble

Current:
    '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
    '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
    '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
    '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
    '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
    '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
    '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
    '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Black iS lip looks fine but the plasti-dip will not hold up in the long run. It will not peel off if you're painting it on a nonpainted surface (primed). I'd suggest getting it painted body color having done this once already.

Comment

Originally posted by BraveUlysses View Post
        Black iS lip looks fine but the plasti-dip will not hold up in the long run. It will not peel off if you're painting it on a nonpainted surface (primed). I'd suggest getting it painted body color having done this once already.
        Yep the plasti-dip wont just peel off of an unpainted surface. Just spray paint it black or have it painted body color

Comment

oh good call. thanks for letting me know i had no idea. how would you suggest doing the process if i'm just going to do the lip myself? No initial sanding needs to be done right? it is primed so i would just spray it 2 or 3 coats then clear coat it ontop? i know people reccomend different sanding techniques
          sigpic

Flickr!

Comment

No don't sand it. Just make sure it's clean and spray it on. I did my iS lip in plastidip. My first attempt I got some drips and experimented with spray distance. I peeled it off and did it again. No big deal. It peels off all as one, very cool, leaving nothing behind and the surface completely clean. The closer you spray the smoother it looks, the farther away the more texturized it looks.

A big advantage I see over paint is if you scrape the lip or want to redo it it's very easy to just peel it off and do it again. Any overspray on your car will just peel right off the paint with no harm done.
            If you scrape a painted lip it's much more work to completely repaint it, and if you try to just touch it up it will look horrible.
            Zinno '89 <24v swap in progress>

Comment

but the other guys say plasti-dip stick when it stays on longer. i'm leaning towards just giving it a solid coat or two of black spray/car paint for now - easy to touch up and i think will look clean for now. i don't want to color match it because i'm going to be repainting the entire car eventually and will debate weather to keep the lip black or matched then. but i feel it is better to give it an actual solid coat rather than plasti because i don't want the plasti to permanently stick, which is destroying its initial purpose.
              sigpic

Flickr!

Comment

That's simply not true in my experience. I've peeled it off after it's been on for several months with no problem. It's pretty strange when you first use it, I was very surprised at it's "rubber-like" properties and the way it "sticks together" when you peel it off. It's hard to understand until you've actually used it before.

Comment

i sprayed Plastidip on my friends' E46 M3 vert kidneys, and its held up perfectly after a yr. It looks just as good, even better than the matte kidneys i bought for my E46 M.
                  www.instagram.com/snwmble
                  #snwmble

Current:
                  '05 BMW M3 - Silver Grey/Imola Red
                  '90 BMW 325iX - Sterling Silver/Houndstooth sport(5-speed converted)
                  '15 Mini Countryman - Blazing Red/Carbon Black

Past:
                  '01 Audi Allroad - Light Silver/Platinum Saber Black
                  '88 BMW 325iX - Diamond Schwarz/Silver sport *Sold*
                  '01.5 1.8TQ - Brilliant Black/Nogaro Alcantara ...after 8.5yrs, *Sold* =(
                  '90 BMW 325i - Schwarz/Tan sport *Sold*
                  '89 BMW 325ix - Diamond Schwarz/Black sport *Sold*

Comment

Yep will come right off in my experience as well.

IMO spray the first few coats heavy...the last get some distance and get a nice texture look going on...much nicer looking.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
                    -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

will it matter though if the surface is already painted or primed? because thats what the others were indicating since mine is still primed and no paint coats already exist
                      sigpic

Flickr!

Comment

Shouldn't make a difference as long as its smooth.

Spray the back first and see what happens.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
                        -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by kevmac858 View Post
                          will it matter though if the surface is already painted or primed? because thats what the others were indicating since mine is still primed and no paint coats already exist
                          I plastidip sprayed mine the way it is brand new, no paint or anything applied before. Plastidip is also safe to spray over paint though. The only way I could see it being a problem peeling it off is if the surface is very rough, like if it was sanded.

Comment

Working...
                          X