Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will an IS front fit on my 325e?

Hey guys,

I currently have an 87 325e with an e46-look body kit that I'm not too fond of (bought the car like that). I'm really an OEM+ kind of guy and I'm looking to replace AT LEAST the front bumper sooner or later. I really love the IS fronts and want to do a swap for that bumper at some point. I was talking to a couple of my buddies and they said that the body style is a bit different and simply getting an IS front bumper will not fit correctly upon install. Is that true? If so, what can I do to make this work?

Also, I'm willing to part with this e46-look front bumper so if any of you are interested, or know someone who is, then PM me. We can talk. I'm currently located in Washington, DC and frequent the tri-state NJ, NY, PA.

Here's what my car currently looks like:

Just did it tonight and it fit fine for the most part. Nothing you wouldn't expect trying to fit two different 25 year old front valances and bumpers lol.

Comment

Assuming you have all the required hardware and brackets, early diving boards or late model plastic bumpers will bolt right up. With the rear, only the early model bumpers will fit as the fender arches changed with the late model.

Comment

Originally posted by david2991 View Post
        Just did it tonight and it fit fine for the most part. Nothing you wouldn't expect trying to fit two different 25 year old front valances and bumpers lol.
        Haha. What do you mean for the most part??

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
          Assuming you have all the required hardware and brackets, early diving boards or late model plastic bumpers will bolt right up. With the rear, only the early model bumpers will fit as the fender arches changed with the late model.
          Well I definitely know for a fact that I don't have the hardware and brackets. I need to pick literally everything up at some point because I have nothing. The rear I'm not so concerned with, so that's good for now. I'm glad diving boards will bolt right up. I might as well make a trip to the junk yard soon. What am I looking for in terms of hardware/brackets?

Comment

You'll need bumpers, bumper shocks/brackets, bumper shrouds and a stock valance.

Comment

As NRD said above a DB front bumper will bolt right up on your '87. Although if you're putting on an '87 iS valance you'll need all the valance mounting hardware, which is NLA. There's a guy who sells aftermarket brackets though - details are in my build thread.
              Originally posted by kronus
              would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

Hmm. Sounds do-able enough so far. What does NLA mean?

Comment

Maybe its just me but the E46 style bumper doesnt look that bad. Take the stupid looking eyebrow thing off though it looks like crap. You will need a late model valance, plastic bumper and plastic bumper shocks, and the lip of your choosing. Search your local pull-a-part. You would probably be looking at around 200-350 for everything depending on how good you are at shopping.

Comment

Originally posted by seven-57 View Post
                    Hmm. Sounds do-able enough so far. What does NLA mean?
                    No Longer Available; i.e. out of production.
                    Originally posted by kronus
                    would be in depending on tip slant and tube size

Comment

I would go with a late model plastic bumper. You will needed the front valence and all hardware to mount it, bumper shocks, bumper side brackets and the bumper. Plastic bumper would look much better with your current rear bumper. Diving boards are ugly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bimmerguy91 View Post
                        Maybe its just me but the E46 style bumper doesnt look that bad. Take the stupid looking eyebrow thing off though it looks like crap. You will need a late model valance, plastic bumper and plastic bumper shocks, and the lip of your choosing. Search your local pull-a-part. You would probably be looking at around 200-350 for everything depending on how good you are at shopping.
                        I'm not a fan of it either. Tried taking it off one day, but my kidneys won't stay in without it, so I decided to choose the lesser of two evils and keep it on so my cooling fan wasn't open to the world.

Thanks for the budget check though. I'm trying to be thrifty as hell with this thing. I'm hoping to sell the e46-look kit though and hopefully walk away with a tiny profit.

Last edited by seven-57; 09-19-2012, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                          I would go with a late model plastic bumper. You will needed the front valence and all hardware to mount it, bumper shocks, bumper side brackets and the bumper. Plastic bumper would look much better with your current rear bumper. Diving boards are ugly.
                          If I do choose to keep the rear and sides, which don't bother me as much at all, I guess a late model plastic bumper would be nicer. Funny how I'm trying to move from aftermarket to OEM. I'll definitely look into that hardware though. If you guys are selling or know someone that's willing to sell those things then let me know. I'm definitely interested.

Comment

There is just some little clips that slide over then top of the kidneys and hold it on. Are you missing those?

Comment

Yup. Easy fix, but at the time, I was in my apartment parking lot and didn't feel like going to get something to fix it.

Comment

Working...
                              X