Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CF Hood with vents

Hey all,

I was just poking around random mods that people have done and realized that when it comes to body mods, most people are generally averse to hood vents (i.e. http://jpcarbon.com/BMW-E30-3-Seires...-P2083665.aspx).

Am I right in thinking that the general preference of the enthusiasts here is to avoid these like the plague? Is it just a matter of taste, or do people not like them if they aren't needed for utilitarian purposes.

Just curious.

S
    sigpic

https://www.facebook.com/Lego.e30

well for starters us e30 folk are dirt cheap, so 500 for a hood rather be put towards wheels or lowering the car. in addition, im sure a lot of people agree it clashes with the e30, little too modern.

but for body mods, mtech1 or mtech2 kits, reiger kits, alpina or hartage, spoilers galore and siderskirts, even oem mods like ix flares or a coupe trunk on a vert to remove the third brakelight.

the majority of r3v, i fell, likes the oem clean look, nothing too flash, except wheels, the hipsters love their flashy wheels

Comment

I'd only get it if I had a badass race car and had extra money.

Comment

If you are going to buy a light weight hood, get MA Shaw if you care at all about it fitting correctly, useful weight savings or looking good for more than 6 months. Most $3-600 hoods are ~20lbs. Shaw cf hoods are under 10lb.

Personally, I would avoid hood vents and paint a light weight hood to match so it doesn't attract attention or fade.

Comment

Style wise they don't really fit. But I have seen many that have adjusted the hood latch so the part of the hood closest to the window sits higher then usual, from what I have heard the E30 has allot of heat in the engine bay and this is a good way to remove the heat.

I supose vents would do the same thing, if you wanted them for a practical perpose.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post
            Style wise they don't really fit. But I have seen many that have adjusted the hood latch so the part of the hood closest to the window sits higher then usual, from what I have heard the E30 has allot of heat in the engine bay and this is a good way to remove the heat.

I supose vents would do the same thing, if you wanted them for a practical perpose.
            this would also allow water in

Comment

Originally posted by Massimo View Post

The base of the windshield is a high pressure zone. Raising the back of the hood will try to force air INTO the engine bay, not out of it. The whole reason cowl induction hoods work when properly ducted. Vents are typically far enough forward that the air rushing over the leading edge of the hood, for lack of a better term, "sucks" the air out of the engine bay.
              84 325e - 91 325i - 92 318 touring - 91 Trans Am - 01 S4 avant - 03 S-type R - 96 F350
              Manual swap all the things!

Comment

Working...
              X