Euro E30 paint correction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Euro E30 paint correction

NOTE: Large pictures, couldnt figure out how to resize them from my phone.

So after owning the car for 3 years I finally decided to give it the attention it really deserves. I honestly wasnt aware of how bad the paint got until this year after I pulled it out of storage for the winter and decided to wash it. After several busy months I had some free time and decided to tackle it. I wasnt able to get out all of the scratches because I think the paint to thin to wetsand, but most of them came out.

*All detailing stuff was bought off the shelf at the local parts store, ive had several success's with the products I used so I decided I would stick to what I knew.

First is a picture I took yesterday evening.

So it begins. The following pictures show several pictures at several angles to show just how bad the paint has really gotten.

Here you can see that the clay bar got a crap ton of dirt that I couldnt get off by hand washing.

Starting the buffing process.

Here you can see the fender and door have been cut down and the red "pops" more on those areas, unlike the a-pillar.

Starting to get a nice reflection.

Some pictures of the fender/hood that had the worst damage, now most of it is removed and appears very nice.

This is a picture of the same area on the hood that had real bad swirls and scratches.

The hood, which was the worst, is now nice.

I wished I had taken more pictures in the "progression" stages, but I was a one man army and was trying to keep my camera and phone clean.

The car received four different stages of compound on the worst areas and three on the rest of the car, then two stages of wax. A lot of people try to argue that two coats of wax isn't necessary, but I'll disagree. While it doesn't give you any more protection over one coat of wax, you'll more than likely get some areas that you missed.

Products:
    Dawn soap
    Clay bar
    Meguiars medium cut compound
    Meguiars fine cut compound
    Meguiars swirl remover
    Meguiars machine glaze
    Meguiars wax
    Foam pad
    Buffer

Total cost involved (minus the buffer)
    $115-ish

Nice job! Why did the paint get so bad to begin with? Crappy winter weather?
    Which buffer do you have?

Comment

Originally posted by e30serg View Post
      Nice job! Why did the paint get so bad to begin with? Crappy winter weather?
      Which buffer do you have?
      Yea, it spent 25 years in England and then the past 3 in Kansas. It got really bad once in kansas, even though its garage stored.

Comment

Working...
      X