Working on mounting brackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Working on mounting brackets

Have you recently purchased a 1987 is/es air dam and can't mount it because you have no brackets!@?#!@?!@? Well, I have. And finding a good set is damn near impossibru. So I've been working with a couple machinists (30 years experience each) on making some. With money on their mind and mind on their money. They are looking at making multiple sets for the unfortunate people like me! So here are some pictures of the first set.

They are being milled out of polyurethane blocks. Melting point of ~450 F so it's some heavy duty stuff, stiffer than the oem brackets. All specs are taken off of a set of oem brackets that I was lucky enough to find.

Working on the extra brackets + looking into the metal thingy that is also used for mounting. They aren't being made to sell just yet. But will be in the future. So I guess this is a bit of a feeler thread.

These are the Right hand and center brackets!

Thanks for looking!
    1989 325i Cabrio
    tyzg

Midwest E30 Owners Gruppe Facebook

Once you figure out cost post it up! Very interested.
    Swanny!
    SUCKERS.

Comment

Originally posted by Swanny View Post
      Once you figure out cost post it up! Very interested.
      Okay, they will be cheaper than the ones on ebay. That's for sure. :)
      1989 325i Cabrio
      tyzg

Comment

finally someone does this. also interested!
        sigpic
        @joshua.j.rizo

Originally posted by SpasticDwarf
        Just remember next time you hear "late night when you need my love" I'm gonna be sitting somewhere way more bitchin' than you, driving or not.

BUY MY BUGATTI WHEELS:
        http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=377693

WRITEUP TO MY RHD SWAP:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=371904

Comment

Think about doing aluminum?

The extra hardness in the plastic could work against you, where instead of slightly flexing if someone scrapes their air dam, they will just snap.

Good luck either way!
          -Build http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=295277

Comment

Originally posted by FLG View Post
            Think about doing aluminum?

The extra hardness in the plastic could work against you, where instead of slightly flexing if someone scrapes their air dam, they will just snap.

Good luck either way!
            Well they would have to be in a full on collision I'd say for these to break.
            1989 325i Cabrio
            tyzg

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
              Already discussed about these on my other thread
              1989 325i Cabrio
              tyzg

Comment

PM me if you get this off the ground. I need just one.
                87 325e

Comment

Wow. $158 for plastic brackets, time to make a 3D printer methinks. I procured some 1" x 1/8" aluminum and plan on fabricating some brackets to mount my new cow catcher this weekend. Out of the three original brackets only one is somewhat whole and is still missing a section. Does anyone have a complete one they can trace onto paper and make into a image or PDF or something we can access online?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Originally Posted by Blunt
                  I've done this so much I have a toenail on my dick.

Comment

Originally posted by rosphill View Post
                    Wow. $158 for plastic brackets, time to make a 3D printer methinks. I procured some 1" x 1/8" aluminum and plan on fabricating some brackets to mount my new cow catcher this weekend. Out of the three original brackets only one is somewhat whole and is still missing a section. Does anyone have a complete one they can trace onto paper and make into a image or PDF or something we can access online?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

This or what happened to the original plan from OP? Would love some aluminum ones just for the fact that I could bend things back versus shattering a mount or 25 year old plastic.
                    Swanny!
                    SUCKERS.

Comment

Seriously...someone get in making these or a template for the aluminum! Would love to properly mount my air dam and still have access to the front tow hook.
                      Swanny!
                      SUCKERS.

Comment

I just made my own from aluminum bar stock using OEM mounts as a template. It only took about an hour, see my build thread.
                        Originally posted by Dozyproductions
                        You know why you're drinking that Pabst? No its probably not because it was the first beer you grabbed. It's because you're a winner.

Comment

Yeah I saw those! Unfortunately I don't have any brackets to use as a template. Thats why it'd be great if someone could slap a dimensional diagram up in a DIY or something. Would be amazing!
                          Swanny!
                          SUCKERS.

Comment

Working...
                          X