Fender repair reccomendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fender repair reccomendations

Well, a metal bar in the road decided to puncture my tire and destory the inside of my fender in the process. I want to make sure this doesnt rust in the future. How should I approach this? Im getting an estimate by a body shop, but im guessing it will be too much to justify...

What did the damage

Where the rear bumper meets the fender

Middle inside section of fender
    Current:
    1989 325i
    1988 M3
    1987 325ic
    Past:
    2001 330ci
    2001 M3

Well thanks for all the suggestions guys! ...lol

Anyways, I happen to pm the right person who gave me advice on what to do. So I have enough info to give this a go. I figured I'd post my attempt and we can see if it comes out alright. Here's the supplies that will be used minus plastic sheets I bought to cover the entire car. Not taking any chances with overspray.

Okay so in all I spent maybe around 100 bucks. Not bad to the 1300 estimate I was handed by some shops. If this doesn't work ill suck it up and pay that in the spring. First I need to remove the rear bumper. Then mask everything off very carefully... Then use the black paint and rust remover disk (attaches to a drill) to remove the loose paint and any rust. I got some metal prep to clean it off before I lay down the primer. The primer is a two part epoxy primer from Eastwood, it should work pretty well. I'll then spray any part on the inside part in the wheel well with rubberized undercoating. Finally I'll use the base coat and clear coat I got from automotive touch up. They mix oem paint, I have not used them previously. I bought a respirator too, figured it would be a good idea.

I tested out the paint on the test card they give you and compared it to my stock m3 trunk spoiler paint. The color looks weird in the pictures but you can see it matches pretty good. Clear coat will need work afterwards, as expected. Need to research more on how to do that.

Oh and this is a quarter panel repair...not fender lol.

Ps here's what did the damage
    Last edited by jhaurimn; 10-26-2013, 07:55 PM.
    Current:
    1989 325i
    1988 M3
    1987 325ic
    Past:
    2001 330ci
    2001 M3

Comment

Unless you want to paint the undercoating red, I would leave that until last, not before paint.

Comment

At least that bar had the decency to give your fender a mild roll

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post
          At least that bar had the decency to give your fender a mild roll

Okay so heres how yesterday went. At 8am I went and bought a propane heater from home depot so I could heat my garage prior to and after painting. Then when I got home I got to work. I decided not to remove the rear bumper, as I really didnt need to.

All covered up. Dont worry the e30 got moved outside :P

Point of interest

Heres what it looked like after some grinding with the paint and rust remover disk. Worked well. What didnt work well was my battery drill. It ran out of juice so I had to wait for it to charge again. Then I was able to get rid of the primer you can still see on the metal.

round 2

Then I laid down the epoxy primer. two coats, this was after the first.

first base coat.

Got lazier with pictures as the day went on lol but heres how it looked after 4 coats of clear. Still not completely unmasked, will do that after work today.

Moment of truth will be after work when I see how it compares to the factory paint. Few other areas I need to touch up as well on the rear bumper. Ill update later with pictures of all masking off.

Jon
          Current:
          1989 325i
          1988 M3
          1987 325ic
          Past:
          2001 330ci
          2001 M3

Comment

Heres the results. It matches almost perfectly with the exterior paint but the inside of the wheel lip is painted a little differently so it doesnt match that. I could of redone the entire inside lip but I didnt want to take off good paint that was unaffected. I knew it wouldnt be body shop quality by any means.

Also I still have some touching up to do on part of the quarter panel, and the rear bumper. Will use dr colorchip on those spots. Didnt want the line of new clear to be to much on the outside where it would be more visable, if that makes sense.

Will take better pics of the inside lips too at some point. Not sure if I will use the rubberized undercoating anywhere as I dont believe it is needed.
            Last edited by jhaurimn; 10-29-2013, 02:10 PM.
            Current:
            1989 325i
            1988 M3
            1987 325ic
            Past:
            2001 330ci
            2001 M3

Comment

Working...
            X