Spoiler mounting on 325is

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spoiler mounting on 325is

I am having problems with my "is" spolier.
    Two of the six mounting bolts have rusted and pulled from the spoiler material. They are adjacent, so the spoiler does not meet the metal lid on the top side of the trunk

Interestingly enough, the bolts for tail lights are the same size, with a threaded end that I used to try to screw into the spoiler to "tap" . This really did not work, and too much tightening of the nut inside the lid makes it feel that it will strip the screw from the lid.

i have heard JB weld works wonders, but what about in this case? Ideas?

Last edited by rtwaits; 11-03-2013, 07:33 PM.

You could just cut the studs off and mount the spoiler with something like 3M VHB tape.
    Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Stainless steel bolts and JB weld

Originally posted by rtwaits View Post
      I am having problems with my "is" spolier.
      Two of the six mounting bolts have rusted and pulled from the spoiler material. They are adjacent, so the spoiler does not meet the metal lid on the top side of the trunk

Interestingly enough, the bolts for tail lights are the same size, with a threaded end that I used to try to screw into the spoiler to "tap" . This really did not work, and too much tightening of the nut inside the lid makes it feel that it will strip the screw from the lid.

i have heard JB weld works wonders, but what about in this case? Ideas?

Go to hardware store and purchase a package of stainless steel screws. Close trunk and align the spoiler correctly then tape down with masking tape. next open trunk and mark holes by pen or drill. Remove spoiler and drill a hole the exact size of the screw. The hole should be deep but not exit the spoiler. get a lil larger bit and widen the hole to 1/2 the 1st hole depth. mix your epoxy and set your screw studs. I am assuming you know to cut the screws to length an know first exact fit hole will set the screw preventing it from drooping to the side.
      Last edited by lovug653; 11-05-2013, 02:14 PM. Reason: spelling error. and grammer fix.

Comment

Working...
      X