Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brought my chalky/faded/hazy paint back to life!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brought my chalky/faded/hazy paint back to life!

Long story short, the PO had the car detailed and partially resprayed before I bought it. However, at some point after doing that, and before he sold it, the hood was replaced with another.

I've owned the car for a year, and the hood was a real eyesore... Looked faded and hazy, almost pinkish. I lived with it for a while, but it was getting worse and worse. I had finally had enough.

Yesterday, I took some 3m rubbing compound to it. The results were very satisfactory! Not perfect by any means, but it brought the color and shine right back. Sealed it with a layer of nano wax. Here are the results...

Before

1/3 of the way

2/3 done

Finished!

the beauty of a single stage paint.
    2014 Alpine White 335i MSport
    (Daily Driver)
    Full Mperformance Aero

2007 Black Sapphire Metallic E92 335i (6MT)
    KW V2 Coilovers
    VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Factory e30 paint is single stage?

Also, looks great... 3M buffing compound is some pretty amazing shit, right?

Comment

I was and am still amazed... It's crazy that it came out so smooth and glossy. And I had to do it by hand because I don't have an orbital. Just a FYI, I only used the 3m rubbing compound and nano wax. I have some polishing compound as well, and I intended to put that on second, but it looked so good that I just threw the wax on and called it a day. From start to finish it took a little over an hour. Very pleased.

Comment

So I don't remember exactly which one is which, but at my old job we had two different 3M compounds we used for various jobs. One was tan and more abrasive, the other was like, milky white. The detailers used that stuff on the cars and goddamn did they come out looking great, pretty much like your paint.

I think they only used the white stuff on paint that wasn't too fucked up though since the tan stuff was apparently pretty strong.

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post

Non metallic colors are single stage from what I've seen
            -His-
            87 e30 325i
            87 e24 m6
            05 e83 x3
            94 e32 740i 5spd
            -Hers-
            89 e30 325i
            18 f48 x1

Comment

Originally posted by jalopi View Post

yes, mostly
              (Daily Driver)
              Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
              VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

All early models except metallics are single stage, all late models are two stage if I'm not mistaken.

Comment

I used the tan stuff Jalopi... But I went very easy with it. Made two light passes over the hood. After it hazed up, I used a clean, dry terry cloth to bring out the shine. That required a little more muscle. But I was being careful not to gouge anything and ruin it.

Comment

If you get the chance, pick up some of the white stuff. It's magic

Comment

Looks great!

Yep it is amazing what you can do. I recently clayed and then took a DA to my alpine with Wolfgang's Uber compound, followed by Duragloss 501, Duragloss 105 and Collinite 845 and it looks incredible!

Did this a while back too. Zinno was much more rewarding than the Alpine. The difference was crazy...

Comment

single stage zinno provides the best "before-after" feedback. I crapped myself when I did mine.
                        (Daily Driver)
                        Full Mperformance Aero

KW V2 Coilovers
                        VRSF Catless Downpipes

Comment

Gotta do this, particularly on red cars, did it to my brilliantrot last year.

Before:

After:

Comment

Closing SOON!
                            "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Wow! Those all turned out great! That last one, holy crap stereoinstaller! Mine has been a couple weeks now and seems to he holding up nicely. Still really happy about doing this. Next time I'm trying the clay bar and then an orbital buffer.

Comment

Working...
                              X