Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Few Questions on Painting Valences!

Hello,

Prepping my car to paint front and rear valences, fog blanks, and brake ducts. Ordering from paintscratch.com, and I was wondering if I should order 1 or 2 cans of base coat? Is clear coat necessary since alpine white cars are single stage?

Thanks!
    ~Stay Thirsty~

I recently did mine. I only used about 1 spray can of single stage. I did front valance, spoiler and mirrors with 3/4 can...

You can add clear to a single stage also.. but I didn't.. If you do, it must be applied within 24 hours or you must scratch it with a scotch pad...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Comment

Originally posted by 95BMWIC View Post
      I recently did mine. I only used about 1 spray can of single stage. I did front valance, spoiler and mirrors with 3/4 can...

You can add clear to a single stage also.. but I didn't.. If you do, it must be applied within 24 hours or you must scratch it with a scotch pad...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2
      Thanks for the reply but you're a little late. Already ordered one can of both haha
      ~Stay Thirsty~

Comment

Ok - Just know that a base coat will be kinda flat color until you use the clear coat..

When I painted my stuff earlier this Spring in RED I bought what I thought to be a single stage and I actually received base coat. So I was a bit stunned to see pink mirrors) actually looked like Pepto.. I tooked the spray can back and it was discovered I had base coat.

Comment

Single stage (pretty much all paint you will get in a spray can) doesn't need clear and everything is mixed in the paint. They do make clear specifically for single stage pants though. The reason duel coat/layer paints use a base then clear is because the base coat isn't sealed and properly protected, so you need to apply the clear coat. Single stage doesn't need it, i guess unless you wanted to buff it but idk if it would benefit.

Comment

Working...
          X