Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Found hidden damage prepping for paint. Need guidance.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Found hidden damage prepping for paint. Need guidance.

I found the damage below as I prepped my '89 325iC for paint. I was aware of damage to the front fender (it was replaced with one of a different color) but it did not look like there was any damage behind the sheet metal. A few fasteners later, I found this:

In intend to have this repaired when I get the car painted but I want to know what is the RIGHT way for it to be repaired? That way when the body shop tells me their strategy I can be educated on how the repair should be done and discuss it intelligently with them.

Thank you in advance.
    Patrick Henry

1989 325iC build: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=316880

The "right" way to repair that is to drill out the spot welds and replace the panel.

In reality, you could either splice in a piece, or just bend it back.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
      The "right" way to repair that is to drill out the spot welds and replace the panel.

In reality, you could either splice in a piece, or just bend it back.
      Since that is part of the front unibody structure, you should have a competent frame shop pull and straighten the front of the car. That is an easy pull, and does not require replacing the upper structure.

-Chris
      Below the radar...

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post
        Since that is part of the front unibody structure, you should have a competent frame shop pull and straighten the front of the car. That is an easy pull, and does not require replacing the upper structure.

-Chris

This.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NEW ERA AUTO GLASS - SFV SOCAL - 818 974-3673
        DREWLIENTE

1$ PShops PM me

Comment

Originally posted by UNHCLL View Post

-Chris
          Also agree. I work in the collision industry as well and even though it will have a good bit of repair time on it, a "pull" should be able to get most of it out since it's not completely destroyed and they have plenty of access for their tools. That portion of the vehicle is often referred to as the "apron" or sometimes the "upper rail" depending on who you talk to. What the shop will do is clamp your car down to the frame rack and either clamp or weld on a bracket to that rail so they can use their equipment to make the "pull". They may also take some measurements to compare to the other side to make sure everything is lining up properly. Once complete, everything that attaches to it should line up & fit properly.
          -Geno

'87 325is (s52'd)
          '95 525iT
          '02 Range Rover 4.6 HSE
          '98 Disco 1

Comment

Approximately how many hours?
            Patrick Henry

Comment

Approximately how many hours?
              Patrick Henry

Comment

Working...
              X