Bent Frame?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bent Frame?

Hey, so I've had an e30 just sitting around for a handful of years now. I bought it early in college and have never had time to fix it up like I wanted to. Now I have a job and the resources to go through with my plan, which is to set it up for rallycross, and maybe eventually stage, if I don't decide to go with a more appropriate car for the situation. I've read through all of the similar builds that people have done and I've amassed a large amount of e30 parts over the years.

However, I may have spotted a large issue. I was rolling around in oil and grease dealing with a leaky drain plug and working on changing the clutch master, when I noticed these holes - one on either front frame rail with obvious warping around them, as my picture shows. Does this indicate that the frame has been bent and subsequently worked on? Or is this somehow normal?
    Attached Files

Look like factory frame tie down points that have had the material bent out of shape. More than likely the vehicle has been on a tow truck or vehicle transporter at some point and had the chains cranked a little hard.

This is a good depiction of a tie down point on another car with a tie down strap attached:

As far as frame damage, it depends. The auto industry standard, used by dealerships and auction houses, is that it would need to be torn more than 1" from where it starts to where it ends. Has it been bent / worked on? Who knows; tie down damage like that is usually not an indicator of accident-type damage or repair. Is it normal? Not really, but its not unheard of.
    -Phil
    Delphin 89 325i | Dakar 95 M3

Comment

Ah thank you, that makes a bit more sense. I've noticed the alignment is off, but it's hard to say if that's from anything bent or just being out of adjustment. I'll have to look into it a bit more or take it to get aligned when its... well, running and driving. Thanks!

Comment

I would agree, thought it is a bit hard to tell from pics. How do the panels fit overall on the car. Any weird gaps?

Comment

No the body is actually really straight overall, but the alignment is definitely jacked up, with the toe on one wheel being slightly different than the other.

Comment

What year is the car? In 86+ BMW had to put Vin numbers on all panels (Hood, Fenders, Doors, Bumpers, and Rear Quarter panels. If one of your panels is missing a vin, then that side was most likely replaced because of an accident. If one of the stickers read "DOT", then the panel was replaced with a OEM panel, rather then a used one from the junkyard, or even worse, aftermarket.

1992 M tech 2 Convertible - S50 Swap
            1992 e34 Touring- S50 Swap
            1992 325i-S50 Swap (SOLD)

1995 e36 M3 Mugello Red - S50 (SOLD)
            1991 325i Convertible Laguna Green (SOLD)
            1987 325i (SOLD);1992 M tech 2 Convertible (SOLD)
            1988 325i Convertible Alpine White (SOLD)
            Brilliantrot Convertible 80k Miles (SOLD)
            1992 325i Convertible Schwarz (SOLD)
            1992 318i Convertible Project-Finished (SOLD)

Comment

It's a 1984. The front right fender does appear to have red paint underneath though, so it seems that was replaced, although I haven't found any other damage in the area.

Comment

The other thing you can do is get a strut tower brace and see if it will fit. Even cars that haven't been hit and had work done on them have issues with rust affecting the structure making strut tower braces impossible to fit.

And I have had two e30s and seen countless in junk yards and have never seen a hole in that spot before...
                Si vis pacem, para bellum.

New Hawtness: 1995 540i/6 Claptrap
                Defunct too: Cirrusblau m30 Project
                Defunct (sold): Alta Vista

79 Bronco SHTF Build

Comment

Working...
                X