Rattle can valance paint job.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rattle can valance paint job.

I picked up a blue valance from a guy here an AZ and I need to paint it so i can match it with my Alpine White II E30.

Anyone here ever done anything like this?
    I was planning on sanding the paint down, priming it, then doing a base and a clear coat, but I thought I should get some input before wasting money on something that might not get the job done.

I was planning on using paintscratch.com to get the color matching right if anyone was wondering.
    Thanks!

I'm about to do the same thing with an early IS airdam. Go for it! It's a fairly inconspicuous part of the car, I figure if I screw it up too bad I'll just give in and get it done right, but can't hurt to try. I'm mostly worried about drips in all the air scoops.
    '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
    '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
    '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

Originally posted by Semblance View Post
      I'm about to do the same thing with an early IS airdam. Go for it! It's a fairly inconspicuous part of the car, I figure if I screw it up too bad I'll just give in and get it done right, but can't hurt to try. I'm mostly worried about drips in all the air scoops.
      Yeah I figured it wouldn't be too big of a deal if i messed it up since its not something like the hood. I'll just take my time and do my best to avoid runs. Light coats.

Also, do you have any recommendations regarding primer or clear coat brands?
      It seems every one has some sort of downside to automotive painting.
      Thanks again!

Comment

Paintscratch has a kit that includes clear coat, primer and adhesion promoter.
        '89 lachssilber vert - Frau Blücher
        '84 alpine 2dr - gone to the great beyond...
        '00 titanium 4dr e46 - bricked

Comment

im currently in a similar boat, my late airdam is red, my cabrio is white. i was going to go balls out because ive been playing with paint stripper for another project. strip, prime, and i havent decided between paint and line-x or something similar. youre right in that it is a fairly inconspicuous bit, especially on a diving board car, but i think the line-x would be a nice subtle touch to the front end. ive already painted my db's a flat black, and the rest of the trim will get a similar treatment
          1990 BMW 325i Cabrio
          1994 Toyota Pickup
          2006 Mitsubishi Eclipse (Lady's Headache)
          Instagram: @papatonymk_e30

Comment

white is hard to match if your paint is old. might have to color sand the whole car and compound to bring back the true color..

then you can try duplicolor match about 8 bucks a can. make sure to use flex promoter before you paint

Comment

Valences, being plastic, respond really well with Bondo. You can bondo, sand, sand, sand and get brand new results.

I did so on my old es valence, which is NLA and $500 for a good one... came pot perfect. You will need to read a little bit about sanding down between coats, using a tack cloth, etc... but the process is not hard at all.

Comment

I'm planning to do this on my car too. Spray can jobs can look as good as the real thing if you spend the time to prep it properly.

Comment

Working...
                X