E30 rust repair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E30 rust repair

I'm torn about a new project car. It's in nice shape except for this perforated ugliness behind the driver's door:

Opinions? Am I an idiot for thinking I can fix this with zero experience? Anyone want to be the judge?

I haven't had much luck tracking down rust repair panels even though this seems like a common coupe problem. ECS offers this part, but I think it's for an E30 M3. W&N also offers a few E30 repair panels but I couldn't find exactly what I was looking for.
    sigpic
    Save the manuals!
    '91 318i
    '86 635CSi

Nobody on R3v has ever seen a car that looked like this?
    sigpic
    Save the manuals!
    '91 318i
    '86 635CSi

Comment

In this situation Id first start by taking out or at least looking under your carpet as well as on your door sills to see if the rust has progressed in there as well. If it's only in that one spot then I'd wire wheel it just to see how far it goes along the rock and just cut it out. And like you said ECS does sell rocker for the regular e30 they're not oem though.

Comment

Crest and 3m make a panel bonder that works well. However, being a very structual part, you should atleast do a few plug welds with a MIG welder. The repair is straight forward. Cut, weld, glue, glaze, prime, and paint. Making it last is the hard part. Bondo and glaze absorb water quickly and bubble. There are a lot of tricks to doing it, but any short cut would cause the project to be a waste of time.

Comment

$43 delivered for a rocker panel?!? Sweet! That's a great deal, thanks for your post!

I was looking into some Eastwood products for finishing. There is a lot to learn.
          sigpic
          Save the manuals!
          '91 318i
          '86 635CSi

Comment

Ive never used eastwood, sorry. For basecoat, I like ppg. Omni is their "budget" products. Omni basecoat is really thin and often doesnt match. However omni clear and primer is decent for what its worth. Production worthy and blendable. Fillers are all pretty similar. You get what you pay for. Cheap fillers like to change shape over time or crack easily. Use a good finishing glaze, like usc icing or crest skim coat. Both are easier to sand and dont clump up your sand paper.

Im sure there are guides or step by step processes on doing rockers. Maybe not e30s though. If you have an auto paint supply store near you, they will have most of what you need. Use a cut off wheel and hammer/chisel for the pinch welds.

http://autobodystore.com/forum/showt...elded-on-panel

Comment

Working...
            X