Anyone ever actually fixed a power top?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone ever actually fixed a power top?

I have a recently aquired 92 325 vert that the power top didn't work when I bought it. The previous owner had told me that he (or someone else) had disconnected the power top because he had heard that they caught on fire :loco:

Anyway, while I can operate the top manally, I would like to get the power mechanism workign again. I bought the bently manual, but it doesn't have much of anything on convertable mechanisms.

So for I have found the two motors and clicked them back into place without much hassle. I tested the continuity on the one microswitch I could find, on the drivers side in the top storage well. However, the top switch doesn't do anything still.

So, Does anyone have a wireing diagram, or any kind of troubleshooting tips on these mechanisms? I have not found a good fuse diagram yet for my car, so I'm not even sure if the fuse(s) for the top mechanism is good?

I have googled and search most bmw forums with little luck.

Any help would be appreciated, as I have exactly no resources right now.

Thanks!

Chuck

Check the fuses. The PO might have pulled it out just incase or something.
    My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
    There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30
      Check the fuses. The PO might have pulled it out just incase or something.
      I would love to. Any idea where the fuses are for the top?

The owners manual doesn't have a fuse diagram. The bently manual's fuse diagram doesn't indicate any fuses for the top, or have a wiring diagram for the convertable top mechanism.

Comment

turtles.
        screaming for beer.

-----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

Working...
        X