Door brake in base of A pillar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Door brake in base of A pillar

Does anyone have a picture of the part of the door brake that is in the body at the base of the A pillar?

My door was making a horrible popping noise when I opened the door fully. I removed the door and the area around the mount for whatever is in that base of the A pillar had some stress cracks. I ran a weld bead along the stress cracks. That lasted a week or so and it started popping again.

This weekend I removed the door and fender and it was obvious the weld idea didn't work. I ground down the weld and this time drilled out the two obvious spot welds, drilled and tapped holes, cut a piece of steel and welded it in place to support the area better. Time will tell.

But I would like to know what the heck is in there to see what more I can or should do in the area. A mirror and light from the speaker hold doesn't reveal much.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Maybe these Front door reinforcement plates . I think these are still available oops doesnt look like theyre avail you might PM him

Last edited by 36brua; 04-20-2016, 10:09 AM.
    My CA legal M60 swap

The happening in our garage

Comment

Thanks 36brua, but my problem is in the base of the A pillar. In the attached picture the paint has been removed and the cracks highlighted with a Sharpie (that ended up in the washer...wife not happy with me). On the left you can see the spot weld on the right side its more difficult to see.

I drilled and tapped the spot welds and welded in a piece on the outside to support the fatigued metal. But I would love to know what is inside the base of the A pillar to better understand if there is more to do.
      Attached Files
      2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

Working...
      X