Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this able to be restored via clay,polish,wax?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The main reason I ask is that I have seen my car wet under the rain and it looks nice, can't see the oxidation. Once dry, its clearly visible (unlike my clear coat ;D)

Just wanted some tips on what could be done? The paint is already ruined in some places where I sanded too deep. So I know that a FULL respray is what is required to make is nice, but that's a lot of body work and I would rather spend time and money on making sure it is nice. Paint is last.

This is my first clear coat problem and I am a nub at areas like this. So go easy on me.

Picture below is a wet shot, I can not have a dry pic uploaded without errors. R3V won't let me post a bad pic of my car. haha.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by HerbE30; 09-16-2017, 11:26 AM.
    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Having issues getting other pics to upload.

"Your submission could not be processed because a security token was missing.

If this occurred unexpectedly, please inform the administrator and describe the action you performed before you received this error."

Probably an issue on my end though.
    20% Accurate

Morty: Well Summer maybe people that create things aren’t concerned with your delicate sensibilities you know? Maybe the species that communicate with each other through a filter of your comfort are less evolved that the ones that just communicate? Maybe your problems are your own to deal with and maybe the public giving a shit about your feelings is a one way ticket to extinction.

Comment

I can not get this picture to upload. Tried renaming it. Moving it. Screen shot it to create another file... Stumped. Also cropped it to drop file size..

I will just leave a pic of my wheels instead. I have painted before.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by HerbE30; 09-16-2017, 11:26 AM.
      20% Accurate

Comment

I got it! haha. Finally. This is a very 'dry' situation. Sun beat.

I know theres a few spots that will not be salvageable.
        Attached Files
        20% Accurate

Comment

I'm no paint expert, but I say get some polish and wax and see what happens. I would play it safe and just do small sections at a time by hand. Mine wasn't quite as bad, but a polish and wax made a huge difference. Just about $20 and a couple hours work from time to time may hold you over. Here's what mine looked like after a polish and wax (sorry, I don't have a before, but it was almost gray):

1990 325i

Comment

I do a lot good deal of detailing on the side, on my own cars and for customers. While I've never touched anything that bad, I feel like the (what's left of the) clear would be unsalvageable. If you're not worried about possibly making it look worse, I'd get a variable speed polisher (like the HF one) and try some mild abrasive compound/polisg, and then a synthetic type wax.

I think you'll find that the sky facing surfaces like the hood and roof and trunk lid are not going to improve *much*, however the sides of the car will probably clean up nicely.

Maybe plastidip the hood/roof/trunk black?

Sent from my XT1064 using Tapatalk
            (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Thanks for the responses. You guys are correct. It is too far gone, at least to do by hand. The paint is toasted.

The trunk is already plastidipped black. I was thinking about doing the hood. That still leaves me with a nasty roof. I'll either buy matched rattle can or buy a safari rack. I will take a pick of the difference for reference though!
              20% Accurate

Comment

Mike when are we going to paint correct my car?

OP you should go the safari rack route. Some wood tones would compliment the gray nicely

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Is that schwarz or diamondschwarz? If it's schwarz, it has no clear coat, so you should be able to polish and wax, with a pretty good restoration outcome. If it's diamondschwarz, that clear coat is toast.

Comment

Even better. It's Delphin Metallic. Which does have clear. Your comment gave me a good laugh! Which means it's ultra toast.

Cool name too!
                    20% Accurate

Comment

That is Delphin?! That paint really is gone.

Comment

Working...
                      X