Need help identifying clearcoat defects

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help identifying clearcoat defects

I don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to paintwork and I'm having difficulty identifying what this is and what to do next;

*I washed the surface before taking a photo. You can see a clear distinction of where the panel is still wet on the sunroof*

This is on the roof panel. Clearcoat is intact and is not chipping/peeling off.

Waxed every 3-6 months with Collinite 845. Switched to Klasse Gloss Sealant/Glaze around 8 months ago.

The surface feels dry. Feels smooth and appears moderately better after clay and a light polish, defects resurface after a 3-4 weeks and has been progressively growing in size for the past year.

Curious about this too as I have the same problem. Hoping there's a temporary solution instead of needing a full respray.

Comment

It's difficult to say for certain without seeing the paint flaw in person. From experience with similar looking patches I assume that this car was over polished in those areas and when the sun heats up on those areas it fades, get a little lighter as time passes. All above said if the paint work is still original !!!

Or that car did have clear coat flake off at some point and maybe the previous owner had the roof recoated...
      Worked over to stop the flaking.

Comment

As for a solution to fix that. Best is to brush coat the roof and recoat with clear. Experienced painters will be able to blend in base coat easily, sadly the e30 body lines makes its hard to blend in the clear coat I would clear coat the whole car. But it can be done if you spray thin coats clear and than cut polish towards the curves of the body it will be almost invisible, hard to say paint work has been done there.
        Last edited by slum dog; 01-09-2019, 12:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by slum dog View Post
          It's difficult to say for certain without seeing the paint flaw in person. From experience with similar looking patches I assume that this car was over polished in those areas and when the sun heats up on those areas it fades, get a little lighter as time passes. All above said if the paint work is still original
          Paint is original and consistent throughout entire car.

Car is currently in storage for the winter and was thinking about giving it another polish this weekend (I've only done it once lightly to the area pictured and sealed with wax afterwards); if what you said above is the case; sounds like that'll only make things worse :/

Comment

Yeah polishing can sometimes do more harm than good. We usually hand buff clients cars thats old still with original paint. Long and tiring process, Cause really difficult to say how much clearcoat is actually left before you hit base coat. Also everytime you use a machine buffer depending on rpm settings you are actually cutting into the paint itself faster. Using a buffer with the lowest possible speed setting works also if the brand polish being used allows.

Comment

Working...
            X