Anyone used Axalta Nason paint?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone used Axalta Nason paint?

It's finally time to paint my vert (Alpinweiss II), and I'm having a hell of a time finding paint. I called 13 stores/body shops around me before finally finding someone who sold automotive paint by the gallon.

I asked for a gallon of ChromaBase and was quoted $693, yikes.

The sales rep recommended Axalta Nason paint for about $295 a gallon for base.

Can anyone speak to this paint? I've never sprayed a car before so spending $700 a gallon seems like a complete waste of money, but I don't want to buy bad paint either. It seems like Nason is advertised as industrial paint but has been used on lots of hot rod builds.

Any input on good paint I can get for under ~$400 a gallon?

Look around for a PPG supplier.
    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
      Look around for a PPG supplier.
      I asked everyone I called if they sold PPG and none of them did. I'll probably call some more shops tomorrow. Is there a specific line from PPG you recommend?

Sent from my OnePlus 7 Pro using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by JRHemmen View Post
        I asked everyone I called if they sold PPG and none of them did. I'll probably call some more shops tomorrow. Is there a specific line from PPG you recommend?

Did you go on PPG's site and look up suppliers?

Another option is TCPGlobal, although I found that they were slightly more expensive than local suppliers.
        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
          Did you go on PPG's site and look up suppliers?

Another option is TCPGlobal, although I found that they were slightly more expensive than local suppliers.
          There are a number of suppliers, but none of them seem to carry automotive. I'll check out their site.

Comment

Found a PPG supplier. Any opinions on Shop-Line Plus vs Deltron? I was thinking of doing shopline base and Deltron clear coat.

The Deltron base costs about $300 more per gallon and I'm not sure if it's worth it for an amateur.

Comment

Axalta is the old Dupont Chromabase line. Dupont sold their paint line years ago. I've had good luck with Dupont (Axalta now) but I am thinking of switching to PPG just because it is a good product (depending on their product line) and seems to be more available. I have a 1/2 gallon of Chromabase clear left which I might use but remember base coat and clears can be used if they have been sitting a while but the reducers and hardeners have a shelf life and once you open the reducers and hardeners and expose them to air they shouldn't be used after a year or so. I had complete clear coat failure only e30 after using old paint with old reducers and hardeners. There is an ingredient you can add to opened reducers and hardeners called " Bloxygen". It's supposed remove oxygen so your substrates will remain stable for some time. I've never used it though. Hope that helps.
              dlm ny country

Comment

Working...
              X