Rocker Paint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocker Paint

What have you guys used when duplicating the textured look for the rockers and front/rear valences? I'm assuming it's as simple as laying down a layer of that before laying down the paint?
    '91 E30 M42 DIAMANTSCHWARZ

Originally posted by FrustratedMunky View Post
    What have you guys used when duplicating the textured look for the rockers and front/rear valences? I'm assuming it's as simple as laying down a layer of that before laying down the paint?

Rubberized Undercoating spray. You can buy it in a rattle can. I redid my rockers with it and they turned out great. Make sure you do it in the Summer (or Summer-like weather) as it takes many hours to dry.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

NO NO NO! water based "stone guard" or rocker shuttz. it can be had in quart cans and you will need to buy a rocker shutts or shootzit gun. depending on which brand you get (i like the wurth and the 3m) the gun style will be different, and it is avail in black, gray (darkish), and tan, this being so if you get a rock chip in the paint you can try to get the colour close to the paint so it won't show as bad. the 3m can be had in rattle cans as well, but it is cheaper in the long run to get the gun and product. if you get a rubberized indercoating more than likely you will run into problems when you go to paint it and the paint reacts with the petrol products in the undercoating. first a light even tack coat, then 2 more slightly heavier, but light coats for an even texture and complete coverage. don't worry about any peaks or high spots as long as it is even. let it dry completely usually a couple of hours in the sun will do it. then take a block or da (careful with the da if you are not experenced you can easily dig a hole with it )with 120 or 150 paper and block it down slightly to take down and peaks. prime and paint. there just like stock!
      greg
      seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Truck bed liner. :up:

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat View Post
          Rubberized Undercoating spray. You can buy it in a rattle can. I redid my rockers with it and they turned out great. Make sure you do it in the Summer (or Summer-like weather) as it takes many hours to dry.
          +1

it'll look brand new, I just did mine a few weeks ago and it looks great!!!
          ///Alpinweiß II 24v 91' 318is, Alpinweiß III 99' 323i, 04' Yamaha R6 SE for sale, 00' VW GTi, 83' El Camino BURNED, 01' P71sold, 92' Miatasold

Comment

Nice, thanks for the input.

When you guys applied the Rubberized Undercoating spray, what kind of steps did you go through? I only want to do the front wheel well area so would I be able to sand down only that small portion, maybe two ft. wide on the rocker panel, then apply the rubberized undercoating spray, then paint on top? Is there any specific black paint I'd need to use for the rocker? Do I clearcoat as a final step?

Would I be able to only do a portion of the rocker, or in order to have it even, would I need to do the entire area?
            Last edited by FrustratedMunky; 11-17-2006, 09:45 AM.
            '91 E30 M42 DIAMANTSCHWARZ

Comment

Working...
            X