No announcement yet.

My roller paint job so far....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It definitely needs contrast to not look like the "dipped in paint" look, but amazing results thus far! I wish I had the time to do something like this, and a garage wouldn't hurt either...

Fantastic stuff, try adding a LTW flag for sure, that paint was cheap, be unique and try some wild stuff to set it off!
    Reminiscing...

Comment

Originally posted by 92 mtechnic cabrio View Post
      Frank,

If you would like, I can do a reverse-cut of the flag for you to use as a stencil.

I make the LTW flags as seen on MR 325's old turbo e30
      Thanks, but i've decided to do the stripe on the hood as well to complete the look. I could do the flag on the other corner of the hood, but then the car would be too busy...

This is the wild stuff i'm doing to the car. On the trunk as well as the front left corner of the hood..If you haven't seen it already.

As far as the "just dipped in paint" look. I know exactly what you're talking about. Those pictures are before I wetsanded (with 2000grit) the last coat down to a dull, yet smooth finish. I polished a little corner of the trunk after that and it really shines without ANY orange peel.

I just need to learn how to effectively use a angle polisher... any help there? RPM? pressure? shit like that
      Recent Rebranding!!
      Visit Garageaholic for all of your E30 Swap Needs!
      E30 SM62/S62
      E30 M60 V8
      E30 M30 Big 6!

Check out this E36 N54 Swap Build
      Instagram.com/garageaholic
      Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

By "dipped in paint look" I mean that there will be no contrast to the car, thus being one solid color all around. You have to keep mouldings black or some parts off color, because one color just looks bleh.

There are examples of E30's out there that do that, including the one you linked (white E30 from NY) and I think that looks awful.

I think you misread it as your paint looks runny, not what I meant above...
        Reminiscing...

Comment

from some1 who spent in the thousand$ for an OK paint job, i must say im jealous of you work. it looks pretty damn good. i wish i had the time and space to try something like this.

also, when they were referring to the "dipped in paint look", they meant no contrast, like when all the trim is painted body color. contrast FTW!~
          IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

What do you guys think of black bumper moldings (Keep the sides white bc i shaved the moldings) Door handles black...

My "is" lip spoiler. i will paint white also... as well as my textured rear... I have zender sides which i will paint white
            Recent Rebranding!!
            E30 SM62/S62
            E30 M60 V8
            E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Well this shit is interesting. I have been worked in body work (spray) when I was younger. I cannot wait to see the finished product. It looks glossy without much "orange peel".
              '89 "is" = M technic II build mode.

sigpic

Comment

i need 1989 bumpers bad......help

i am looking to buy some newer style bumpers..if any one has them for sale....:(

Comment

Originally posted by jay dot dog View Post
                  i am looking to buy some newer style bumpers..if any one has them for sale....:(
                  Hehe let me point you in the right direction:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=140 The WTB (want to buy) subforum. Post there.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/forumdisplay.php?f=103 The FS (For sale) forum. Look there.
                  Reminiscing...

Comment

Originally posted by M3fan4eva View Post
                    What do you guys think of black bumper moldings (Keep the sides white bc i shaved the moldings) Door handles black...

My "is" lip spoiler. i will paint white also... as well as my textured rear... I have zender sides which i will paint white
                    I personally like the contrast that a black is lip, valence, and side skirts provide, but with your current mods (shaved and zender skirts) I think that would look pretty damn good. The painted lip and rear valence will look good with painted skirts. Those three things have to match up color wise IMO or it looks goofy.

Great work though man, really shows what a little elbow grease and creativity can do.
                    Back to my roots

Comment

a properly white washed car right there

Comment

That is interesting... maybe I missed it but what kind of paint you using?

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Reaktionär View Post
                          I'm glad to see that your's is turning out better then mine did. That orange peel will come out with some wetsanding. I don't think that i'd use a DA to wetsand, plus how would you get the paper to stick to the DA.
                          uh...how do you think they would sell a product without being able to attach paper?

as a hint, there is 2 seperate ways.

Comment

Originally posted by trent View Post
                            uh...how do you think they would sell a product without being able to attach paper?

as a hint, there is 2 seperate ways.

I'm meaning wetsand paper to a da. I know that the da paper has a sticky side.

1992 BMW 325iC
                            1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                            1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

Originally posted by E30 Reaktionär View Post
                              I'm meaning wetsand paper to a da. I know that the da paper has a sticky side.
                              they make specific paper for that

Comment

Originally posted by bwanac View Post
                                That is interesting... maybe I missed it but what kind of paint you using?

I'm using a rustoleum acrylic enamel. It's called "gloss white", which needs to be changed to a better color name. .. lol. but i just mix with mineral spirits and apply with a roller. simple as that.
                                Recent Rebranding!!
                                E30 SM62/S62
                                E30 M60 V8
                                E30 M30 Big 6!

Youtube.com/garageaholic

Comment

Working...
                                X