Rolling and Flaring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rolling and Flaring

Anybody got a good link to a decent explanation on rolling/flaring fenders?

Jon
    My 2.9L Build!

Originally posted by Ernest Hemingway
    There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Rolling is using a big arm that bolts to your wheel hub. You crank it outwards on it as a big rubber roller on the end flattens the inside of the edge of the panel. Rotate it back and forth, dialing in a little more pressure until you're satisfied. As you get close to flattening this edge, the paint will start to crack and flake. Roll before you Spray.
    '89 325i track sloot
    '01 530i daily

-Enginerd

Comment

if you hit the area with a heatgun it'll help keep the paint from chipping so much
      beware of attack squirrels

Comment

Heatgun and covering it with painters tape...but plan to respray the area. some people have (seriously) used a baseball bat between the spinning tire and the lip.

If you don't know what you're doing, I'd suggest posing up in a regional forum and asking help from someone local, especially if they can rent you good roller.

Comment

Guys, whoever said heat or tape helps is not dealing with E30s.

20 year old paint is gonna crack, and even new paint is STILL gonna crack.

I own a fender roller, have done several, all have cracked.

Roll before you paint, that is absolutely true.

Luke

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Alright, I'm trying to find someone local that has a fender roller and see how much/if they will let me borrow it.
            My 2.9L Build!

There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.

Comment

They can be purchased for around $250.00 I believe!

Helps to know somone that has one to borrow!

Comment

Yea, I found somebody local that let me use it for like 20 bucks.
                This is what I ended up with:
                My 2.9L Build!

Comment

Originally posted by PiercedE30 View Post
                  Yea, I found somebody local that let me use it for like 20 bucks.
                  This is what I ended up with:

any problems you ran into? did the paint crack? how did it go overall, cause my buddy with a turbo MR2 has one coming soon from some forums guys...and im helping him, and he is helping me with it
                  sigpic

Comment

i did mine with a baseball bat. The paint was already chipped on the edge so i said fuck it. Actually turned out pretty good, well at least good enough to fit my newish wheels without rubbing. i just let the paint sit in the sun and warm up real well then spent 2 hours rolling and rolling and rollling

Comment

I used a heat gun and concentrated the heat where the roller started and SLOWLY walked it across the edges before even moving the roller. I made sure that the paint was very warm. I only barely cracked the paint in one area on the passenger side front fender. Hardest part was trying to get the inner fender liners to go back to being hidden without cutting them.
                      My 2.9L Build!

Comment

screw fenderliners...if you take em out you can go even lower...i've been concidering buying my own fender roller for awhile so if anyone in northern cali wants to roll their fenders soon im game
                        beware of attack squirrels

Comment

if my buddy with the mr2 gets one, it prolly wont ever work for mine will it? because isn't their bolt pattern just a little bit different because there stud diamter is smaller?
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.sexymorningvoice View Post
                            if my buddy with the mr2 gets one, it prolly wont ever work for mine will it? because isn't their bolt pattern just a little bit different because there stud diamter is smaller?
                            Fender rolling tools have a universal hub that will fit any bolt pattern.

Comment

Working...
                            X