roller painting prep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

roller painting prep

Im preparing to roller paint my 87 325is to safety red and im wondering how much prep everyone is doing to their roller jobs. Ive started to try to remove the windshield strips but am having trouble getting the rubber seal around the windshield out and im wondering if its even worth it.

Also is there an easy way to remove the chrome trim on the c-pillar behind the rear pop out windows?

Hopefully i can get this finished by mid week and post some pictures up.

I used a DA sander and...damn, I forget...180 grit paper? If your clear has gone bad, sand that off. You don't need to go down to primer unless your paint is cracked.
    The rubber won't come out without the glass. It's time consuming, but the way to leave it in there and get paint there is to stuff rope between the rubber and the car. I used fairly thick stuff, enough to hold the lip of the rubber gasket up but stuffed in far enough you could paint the 'hidden' edge. Hopefully that makes sense.
    The sail panels just pull off; you may have to pry them a bit from the backside to get them out. They have plastic grommets that may disintegrate but they are cheap to buy. Then just tape off the molding and paint the rest off the car.
    Don't get greedy with the paint thickness...thinner is better. Yeah, it takes more coats but will probably balance out in less sanding. I sanded between each coat for better adhesion.
    You can see mine at http://www.mongrelmotorsports.homestead.com and I have links to several of the sources for roller painting info there as well.
    sigpic

Comment

so exactly how do you do this? can somebody help me with the paint and how to's?

Comment

Yeah, how about you visit my web page and then click any of the links I provide to take you to sites that give specifics on roller paint jobs.
        sigpic

Comment

so, ummm..... i cant really look all over that page. can somebody post some links? and what does FTW mean?

Comment

Originally posted by lovemy318 View Post
            so, ummm..... i cant really look all over that page. can somebody post some links? and what does FTW mean?
            http://mongrelmotorsports.homestead.com/SpecE30.html very bottom on this page

ftw = for the win

Comment

Originally posted by lovemy318 View Post
              so, ummm..... i cant really look all over that page. can somebody post some links?
              :roll:
              If you don't have the time to scroll through a page or two to find the links, you won't have time to read the 2 million pages of information on how to do the paint job.
              Nor, I suspect the attention span to ever DO the paint job, which takes about a week.
              sigpic

Comment

Working...
              X