Q: guru-level touchup painting?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • kamotors
    replied
    just spray paint it

    Leave a comment:


  • Stevie30
    replied
    Originally posted by funcrew
    Shoot, for 10 bucks more, I could have roller-painted the whole car in Alpineweiss rustoleum!
    As I always say,"White is a great car color; you can touch it up with White-out!!! LOL

    Leave a comment:


  • atomic
    replied
    We tried this several times when I worked at the local BMW dealer back in the late 80's early 90's and to be honest every car we tried, we never had any luck doing what you are going to try. So much so, that if you are not really careful, you will end up sanding/buffing through your good paint trying to smooth out the touch up work. It just never looks right when your done period. Save up as said before and do it right, in the meantime, just put some touch up on the best you can and forget about it.

    Leave a comment:


  • funcrew
    replied
    Originally posted by monty
    You dont have to wait a month, just a day or so. Sand out the most rust you can trying not to make a huge "hole" in the paint, brush in the paint. Wet sand it with 1500 or 2000 grit then buff it out. wont look perfect but will look 10 times better than rust.
    Thanks. I'm basically going to do that, but in multiple layers - ordered 40 bucks of primer, base coat, and clear coat, all in "paint pens" from carscratch.com & will report on the results when done.

    Shoot, for 10 bucks more, I could have roller-painted the whole car in Alpineweiss rustoleum!

    Leave a comment:


  • monty
    replied
    You dont have to wait a month, just a day or so. Sand out the most rust you can trying not to make a huge "hole" in the paint, brush in the paint. Wet sand it with 1500 or 2000 grit then buff it out. wont look perfect but will look 10 times better than rust.

    Leave a comment:


  • Tavern Gnome
    replied
    It'll never look right. I'd save your pennies and have the nose resprayed.

    Leave a comment:


  • funcrew
    started a topic Q: guru-level touchup painting?

    Q: guru-level touchup painting?

    There are a lot of gravel dings and scratches on my Apineweiss vert, most of which are through to the metal and rusted. I'm not going to drop the $ for a paint job, and most of the paint is is great shape anyway.

    Is it possible to get decent results from sanding to bare metal, using dab-on touch-up paint, waiting for a month, then wet sanding to level off the "hump" of paint?

    It doesn't have to look perfect, I just wanted to know if some of the low-budget gurus on the forum had perfected a cheap and good looking ding repair technique. BTW I did search already, but feel free to post a link and abuse me for not finding it.

    Thanks!
Working...