X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a hole in my car. -.-

Heylo,

Two door plastic bumper coupe.

Right rear passenger footwell. That big circular "disk" that is somehow fitted to the car during assembly, then sprayed with undercoating.

That disk has "lifted" itself somehow and if you peer down in there you can see the ground.

Took it to a bodyshop. They suggested roofing cement/filler/glue whatever, to fill up the "crack" and then some undercoating spray etc to reseal the underneath.

It leaks. >.< Second time lifting the carpet and using a fan to dry it out. It really is not enjoyable.

Suggestions?
    :mrgreen:

Like game music? >clicky<

just weld a piece of metal over it.

it's a simple fix.

1987 325is: 495whp/400ft-lb
    UPDATED 03/12/10!: RB26DETT Swapped E30

Comment

Those covering plates are a pain in the ass. They never stay in.

Buy 2 new covering plates. Pull up the carpet, pull the old plates out, replace with new plates. Bond in place with roofing polyurethane cement after you bend the tabs into place.

The plates are like $7 each.

Originally posted by whysimon
      WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Part #? I couldn't find them on realoem.

Comment

Just seal it up with all-weather caulk. Blunt can show you how, he loves caulk.

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
            Those covering plates are a pain in the ass. They never stay in.

Buy 2 new covering plates. Pull up the carpet, pull the old plates out, replace with new plates. Bond in place with roofing polyurethane cement after you bend the tabs into place.

The plates are like $7 each.
            Where are they? i couldn't find them in realoem.

1. I am NOT going to pull up the driver's side floorboard unless it leaks too. Absolutely not. Not fiddling with the door sill cover that holds the floor down. I broke the pass side completely out (wouldn't come out in one piece, it was like brittle) and all the plastic pins where hard to get out. All came out with special pliers , two broke, three are good, and two are still stuck in there.
            2. How are you going to get the old plate/disk out from under that insulating substance bonded to the floorboard? heating it up is a joke, that'll warp the body.

That said, if you got it to work out, then you probably figured it out.

And 3. People, there is NO drain plug for the rear passenger footwell. If you have water there, you have to pull up the carpet. I didn't see any on the pass/side either, other than twist plugs (And how you get those out other than cutting out is beyond me)

Comment

The cover plates are potted with like 1/2" of seam sealer. You will have to remove the seam sealer to access the cover lid PN 51711967999. It is impossible to access otherwise.

Use a heatgun and scraper. It won't warp anything. You need to heat the metal significantly to warp it. Softening seam sealer and scraping it out isn't gonna do crap. If you are afraid of scratching the paint on the floor, start scraping at the center of the floorboard where the cover plates are. You can scrape the hell out of the cover plates since you're going to be replacing them anyway.

Cars are like sex. You need to handle it like a man, not like some frou frou Martha Stewart vision of "making love" on a king size bed that has a luxurious silk eiderdown duvet covering 1800 TC sheets with 35 candles surrounding the joint.

Originally posted by whysimon
              WTF is hello Kitty (I'm 28 with no kids and I don't have cable)

Comment

Originally posted by Ablice View Post
                Where are they? i couldn't find them in realoem.

1. I am NOT going to pull up the driver's side floorboard unless it leaks too. Absolutely not. Not fiddling with the door sill cover that holds the floor down. I broke the pass side completely out (wouldn't come out in one piece, it was like brittle) and all the plastic pins where hard to get out. All came out with special pliers , two broke, three are good, and two are still stuck in there.
                2. How are you going to get the old plate/disk out from under that insulating substance bonded to the floorboard? heating it up is a joke, that'll warp the body.

That said, if you got it to work out, then you probably figured it out.

And 3. People, there is NO drain plug for the rear passenger footwell. If you have water there, you have to pull up the carpet. I didn't see any on the pass/side either, other than twist plugs (And how you get those out other than cutting out is beyond me)
                They broke and were brittle because of age. New door sill cover is like $15 or something and 6-7 new clips are another $5 and you are done :)
                Mtech1 v8 build thread - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=413205

OEM v8 manual chip or dme - https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho....php?p=4938827

Comment

Originally posted by FredK View Post
                  http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AF93&mospid=47305&btnr=51_1746& hg=51&fg=80

The cover plates are potted with like 1/2" of seam sealer. You will have to remove the seam sealer to access the cover lid PN 51711967999. It is impossible to access otherwise.

Use a heatgun and scraper. It won't warp anything. You need to heat the metal significantly to warp it. Softening seam sealer and scraping it out isn't gonna do crap. If you are afraid of scratching the paint on the floor, start scraping at the center of the floorboard where the cover plates are. You can scrape the hell out of the cover plates since you're going to be replacing them anyway.

Cars are like sex. You need to handle it like a man, not like some frou frou Martha Stewart vision of "making love" on a king size bed that has a luxurious silk eiderdown duvet covering 1800 TC sheets with 35 candles surrounding the joint.
                  Okay, I'll get back on this.

Thanks for that.

Newbie nervousness = "softie" touch :) don't know how much force to apply until you start just a little above zero force...

Jean, Yeah, I got another sill plate. I'll get a few more of those plastic snipper things also. Once the leaks are fixed I can slide the clips onto the plate, align it, and snap her in. :>

Comment

I suggest Fusor body sealant/glue. Made for glue panel on to the car, very similar to the factory glue used pretty much everywhere. Go to a automotive paint supply and pick up a tube (use it in a caulking gun).

Comment

Working...
                    X