Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heckspoiler refinishing

Hi Guys,

I wanted to refinish the heckspoiler on my 1990 325is. It seems to have a foam core and i was wondering the safest way to refinish all the cracks and repaint it that flat black color.

Thanks
    Chris

Btw i tried searching but couldnt find anything

I bought one off another member from this site but it was in a different color and had cracks. What I had to do was sand it down to the material itself with 150 grit sandpaper. The sanding gets the cracks out since you took off the paint. Do not use any strippers or chemicals because those can trash the spoiler's material. Be sure you evenly resurfaced it down to the rubber surface.

After that I made sure to wipe it clean from lint or dust with a rag and some mineral spirits. After letting it dry I hit it with 3 light coats of filler primer. You can buy filler primer at any auto store, stores mainly carry Duplicolor. Then I made sure the filler primer did its job and you can go ahead and hit it with a few shots of flat black paint until you're happy with the results.:up:

SC*AR (Schwarz Army)
    No longer stock ride height, rolling as low as a daily driver in New England should without worrying about breaking an oil pan. :up:

Comment

oh man brilliant idea.... im gonna try that out tonight.... thanks man

Comment

I should have a write up by tonight... for anyone that wanted to do this

Comment

nice, im waiting to do mine. will be nice to see someone elses experience with it.
          www.benjamineliward.com

Comment

Write up for refinishing an e30 heckspoiler

Tools
            Masking tape
            sand paper ranging from 180, 400, 600, 800, 1500 grit
            2 cans Duplicolor Filler Primer
            1 can wurte flexible trime paint (satin)
            isopropyl alcohol

1. First remove the spoiler from under the trunk panel. This can be done with a 10 mm socket. Remove 6 plastic nuts

2. Take 180 grit sand paper and try to sand flat as many cracks and deformations as possible.

3. Clean the dust and grease off of the spoiler with a rag and isopropyl alcohol. Also make sure to mask the tag that says KTL Heckspoiler, cause thats just cool.
            4. Hit it with filler primer about 5 coats. If you can still see the cracks when you apply the 3rd coat you can use the filler primer and spray the cracks directly, so that you fill them with primer. Dont worry about blotching we will take care of that later. Make sure to fill all the cracks with primer by the 5th coat.

5.Take a cup and fill it with warm water and a little bit of liquid soap. Then take little pieces of 400, 600, 800, and 1500 grit wet sand paper and sand it to a baby smooth surface. There should be no imperfections in the surface.

6. Then Clean the spoiler with a rag and isopropyl alcohol. Re Mask the label if needed. Then hit the spoiler with 3 nice coats of Wurth satin trim paint. Allow to dry for 12 hours or overnight and voila ... your ballin again

Thanks for reading,
            Chris

Comment

Yup, only difference is I clear coated mine and painted outside.

SC*AR (Schwarz Army)
              No longer stock ride height, rolling as low as a daily driver in New England should without worrying about breaking an oil pan. :up:

Comment

depends on the crack... if the crack is not just hair line cracks, and you still try to salvage the piece, itsis better to fill it with some kind of body filler then filler prime it.

Comment

My cracks were just cracks in the exterior finish

Comment

The GFs' lip had big cracks in it.

I sanded them completely out, filler primered, then repainted.

A year later, they are visible again.

Has anyone seen a fiberglass replica of the stock "is" lip?

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

did you use a flexible trim primer

Comment

Originally posted by p0cket penguins View Post
                        did you use a flexible trim primer
                        I think so.

Closing SOON!
                        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

thanks so much for the writeup!, where can you pick up the "flexible" trim primer??
                          www.benjamineliward.com

Comment

Give your car, truck or SUV a lasting shine that everyone will notice by ordering the highest-quality exterior care products and using our free knowledge.

Comment

nice write up. shit looks clean and smooth. NOW WE NEED SOME RIMS.

Comment

Working...
                              X