Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Questions about refinishing a fiberglass hood.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about refinishing a fiberglass hood.

Hey guys,

I just got a used BMP fiberglass hood. The hood is pretty flexy and I was wondering if I could reinforce it a bit. My plan is to JB weld some half inch aluminum strips along the back side of the hood (similar to the stock bracing) and then cover them with 3 layers of fiberglass cloth. JB weld all the seams between the top fiber glass and bottom fiberglass and cover it with 3 layers of fiberglass cloth. Then rough up the surface and shoot the bottom with a primer and high temp black paint. What do you guys think? Also what can i use for a hood matte or insulation?

Chris

I would have to ask...why are you adding weight to a fiberglass hood? Isn't the purpose of those to be lightweight?
    sigpic

Comment

at max it would be a 1-2 lbs of material..... subtracted from the silicon that was used to joint the inside of the fiberglass halves... and i just wanted to get ride of the wiggle.

Comment

dont jb weld, either resin, or epoxy... thats what they would have used, a lot stronger, and will adhere to the original stuff better. also, you might want to use a pice of c channel aliminum... it will be stronger, and you can get it for nit much $ at like home depot, or something like that. you dont nesicarily need to fiberglass over the bottom, but its not a bad idea... also make fure you sand the aluminum before you try to glue it, it wil help it hold better, say like 80 grit paper... as for insolation... the factery makes a 3 pice foam insolation that goes on the bottom... my 91 318is had it... if you lay the suports in the factory manner, they shold fit in fine, you might want to buy them, then lay out the supports...

9, 10, 11

Comment

Originally posted by Sponce View Post
          dont jb weld, either resin, or epoxy... thats what they would have used, a lot stronger, and will adhere to the original stuff better. also, you might want to use a pice of c channel aliminum... it will be stronger, and you can get it for nit much $ at like home depot, or something like that. you dont nesicarily need to fiberglass over the bottom, but its not a bad idea... also make fure you sand the aluminum before you try to glue it, it wil help it hold better, say like 80 grit paper... as for insolation... the factery makes a 3 pice foam insolation that goes on the bottom... my 91 318is had it... if you lay the suports in the factory manner, they shold fit in fine, you might want to buy them, then lay out the supports...

9, 10, 11
          Do i even need the insulation, because that link says those three pieces are sound insulation... im worried about things melting or burning....

Comment

Working...
          X