M Tech II kit on early car?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

M Tech II kit on early car?

I was thinking instead of doing the late model bumper swap, what about just buying front and rear m tech II bumpers from eurostyle, and modifying the rear to fit? that way I'd be working with fiberglass

what bumpers would I use? (don't want to lose safety devices).

I just really love the look of that m tech II kit.
    Originally posted by blunt
    can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Oh, I can see this thread starting to swirl around the toilet bowl already...

ColdAccord, you have to use the stock internals and rebar from the later style bumpers. All I have to say is good luck with this project, you are in for a WORLD of work. :up:

Comment

Andre did it right?
      minus the sideskirts
      90 325is
      IE stage 3s and refeshed m20....

Comment

Originally posted by 318driver
        Andre did it right?
        minus the sideskirts
        no, he used a fiberglass kit made for the older cars.
        My mountains are better than yours.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmerphile
          Originally posted by 318driver
          Andre did it right?
          minus the sideskirts
          no, he used a fiberglass kit made for the older cars.
          really? I was pretty sure he had an m tech II kit modified. it was originally molded to his quarter panels, then redone the way it sits today

Also, I would be using different sideskirts. Not too crazy about the m tech II skirts, nor do I want to do all that work.

I figure a plastic bumper conversion would be a bitch, so why would this be any worse?
          can you get me a deal on cases of their (fiji) bottled water? i wash my 02 in that shit

Comment

you can use your diving board as rebar for the rear if you mount it 2" higher and modify the bumper shocks. i suppose you may be able to do the same for the front if you had a one-piece mtech2 bumper/spoiler but i can imagine mounting the fogs and turn signals would be a PITA.

in your first post you kind of made it sound like working with fiberglass would be better than working with plastic. that assumption alone could kill any hopes you had of pulling this project off; it is much harder, and alot more expensive, to modify fiberglass than it is to modify plastic. you could trim the bumper ends that extend into the fender, but you would run into problems making the end plates. plus, you should never assume a fg replica piece is going to fit like a factory part.

Comment

the main thing is that I would prefer to have the M tech II kit to the plastic bumpers. if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, and I'll just do plastic bumpers

just figuring since it would need a lot of work anyway, might as well do what I liked more

Comment

Originally posted by ColdAccord
                the main thing is that I would prefer to have the M tech II kit to the plastic bumpers. if it doesn't work out, it doesn't work out, and I'll just do plastic bumpers

just figuring since it would need a lot of work anyway, might as well do what I liked more
                thats fine. i feel the same way. its just putting on a mtech2 kit, even if its only the front and rear, will cost a whole lot more than getting plastic bumpers. you dont save any money with new fiberglass parts over used originals, and you would still need front and rear plastic bumper rebar and shocks, a front valance, fogs, and turnsignals, plus trimming and remounting the rear bumper. even if you find a good set of used fiberglass parts, it's going to cost alot in labor for a body shop to install them (the rear at least), plus there's a good chance they'll charge more to paint the parts. i'm not trying to disuade you from doing this, i'm just trying to help you make your decision.

Comment

Eurostyles kits are shit. Even one "made" for your car doesn't fit.

Just say no to Eurostyles kits.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                  https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan

for jase!!!1
                    I retired my E30 for now...
                    E46 323i
                    David Schultz

Comment

Originally posted by DSchultz325e
                      Originally posted by Jordan

for jase!!!1
                      Sure, and guess what happened after his accident:

I am going to need a lower of the front of my kit. whats it going to cost?. it was a good fit and broke clean off. but is heavily damaged.
                      Jase

Now tell me, if the most unhappy of my customers comes back to me, what does that mean for the rest of them!? Remember, things are not always the way they seem to be, even after all that has been said, we are still cool and he is more then willing to business with me again

Comment

Let me through a question out there. I have a 325ic with the older bumpers. I was looking at changing the bumpers then going for the M tech II kit. Is the the order i need to go or can I go stright to the M tech II kit? Also where can I look for this Kit.....I can never get Lowen to return any messages for the kit.

Comment

Originally posted by themax
                          Let me through a question out there. I have a 325ic with the older bumpers. I was looking at changing the bumpers then going for the M tech II kit. Is the the order i need to go or can I go stright to the M tech II kit? Also where can I look for this Kit.....I can never get Lowen to return any messages for the kit.
                          Lowen as in Lowen Design? I have no personal experience with Lowen Design, but this is worth a look.

~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Originally posted by themax
                            Stay away from Lowen!!!!!

As for the M-Tech, it has its own bumpers. They look kind of like the plastic ones but they are indeed different - no rubber impact strips on them. If you get a real M-Tech II, it will have bumpers. Check out Eric Lukas at lukasbmw.com. His is a two door hardtop, but you'll get the idea.
                            Current Cars
                            2014 M235i
                            2009 R56 Cooper S
                            1998 M3
                            1997 M3

Comment

Ha, thanks for the ideals. I will stay away from Lowen.

Comment

Working...
                              X