Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wind Noise at over 60mph?

Hi all,

Forgive me if this topic was covered in a forum, 20 mins of searches yielded nothing.

1990 BMW 325is coupe here, at ~60mph on the highway, I get a ton of wind noise on the drivers side door. It's been this way since I've purchased the car.
    If I crack the sunroof, noise goes away presumably from the pressure equilibrium created.

The big question:

Is this the door seals, or weatherstrip? Has anyone had similar issues? What did you replace to fix it?

Thanks,
    -Steve

In many cases the body to door seal shrinks over time causing it to pinch or retract, often from from a corner, so check that.

You can also check out the engine bay to hood seal, which is probably worn to the point of not sealing, allowing front end air to move in ways not intended from the factory.

It's also worth noting that the cars can just be a bit loud, and you might try having somone else drive and compare passwnger side noise to your experience from the driver's seat.

If all of that has no effect try driving around without wipers or change the blades type, and as a last resort you can change to the factory style aero/Evo mirror.

Comment

Originally posted by roguetoaster View Post
      In many cases the body to door seal shrinks over time causing it to pinch or retract, often from from a corner, so check that.

You can also check out the engine bay to hood seal, which is probably worn to the point of not sealing, allowing front end air to move in ways not intended from the factory.

It's also worth noting that the cars can just be a bit loud, and you might try having somone else drive and compare passwnger side noise to your experience from the driver's seat.

If all of that has no effect try driving around without wipers or change the blades type, and as a last resort you can change to the factory style aero/Evo mirror.
      Got it. My seal looks fine, not degraded in any way. Could it still be shrunk?

Comment

Close the window wind noise should go away =)

In all seriousness can you hear where the noise is coming from at all ? You can try taking masking tape and putting it over the seals before you drive it and do one at a time once the noise goes away you found where air is coming in.....the door to fender would be hardest since you'd have to climb through the passenger seat.
        PERSON 1 - "It whispers to me at night...and convinces me i have to spend all my earnings on it...and buy all this stuff....to be cool...and be euro."

PERSON 2 - "Oh your married too?? Oh you mean the car....yes ....yes i agree...:shock:"

Comment

Working...
        X