Trim removal from pop out windows?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trim removal from pop out windows?

I am in the process of shadowlining my 88 e30 and am having trouble with the metal strip on the bottoms of the pop out windows. Does anyone know how to remove them?

Here is a pic of the strip I am talking about.

"Drifting an E30 is like pouring out a beer just to get a nickel for the can"

Just tape everything off, and paint it on the car. Many people do this that I've seen.
    -Pierre
    1987 535is
    1988 325is

Comment

Originally posted by e30nub View Post
      Just tape everything off, and paint it on the car. Many people do this that I've seen.
      Thanks man. That is what we are going to do if worse comes to worse but I would much prefer to paint the trim off of the car.

Comment

Take our word for it-just carefully tape and mask everything off and paint it on the car-or at least remove the window from the car and do it that way. Removing the window from the car only requires removing two nuts and one screw (basically) and it's out.

The reason you don't want to actually remove that trim from the window is because the upper and lower sections are riveted to the vertical section. I have done it this way once (before I knew better) and it can be put back together, but it's a bitch to get it right. You will need a rivet gun and new rivets of course. But once again, just tape it off and paint it-it will turn out fine if you mask it off properly.
        Eric Giles
        '20 M2 CS
        '04 M3
        '11 X5 35D
        '87 325is
        '91 325i Sport

There are few things more expensive than a cheap BMW...

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Giles View Post
          Take our word for it-just carefully tape and mask everything off and paint it on the car-or at least remove the window from the car and do it that way. Removing the window from the car only requires removing two nuts and one screw (basically) and it's out.

The reason you don't want to actually remove that trim from the window is because the upper and lower sections are riveted to the vertical section. I have done it this way once (before I knew better) and it can be put back together, but it's a bitch to get it right. You will need a rivet gun and new rivets of course. But once again, just tape it off and paint it-it will turn out fine if you mask it off properly.
          Thanks man I guess I will have to mask, primer and paint it. Will SEM trim black be an exact match to the rest of the shadowline?

Comment

Originally posted by direction88 View Post
            Thanks man I guess I will have to mask, primer and paint it. Will SEM trim black be an exact match to the rest of the shadowline?
            Yes it will-it will be about as close as you can get to the factory shadowline.
            Eric Giles
            '20 M2 CS
            '04 M3
            '11 X5 35D
            '87 325is
            '91 325i Sport

Comment

Eric have you removed the trim from pop out windows? I am wanting to get it all powder coated and cant figure it out

Comment

Originally posted by 30THIRTY View Post
                Eric have you removed the trim from pop out windows? I am wanting to get it all powder coated and cant figure it out
                As mentioned previously, I have-you have to drill out the rivets hold the frame together. When you do this it all comes apart and the glass comes out of the framing. You will have to rivet it back together and you must be very precise with it-it really isn't that easy to reassemble. If at all possible, mask it off and just spray that portion.
                Eric Giles
                '20 M2 CS
                '04 M3
                '11 X5 35D
                '87 325is
                '91 325i Sport

Comment

Thanks for the reply

I have already drilled out the rivets and have the b pillar cover off. The other 2 are not so easy and not moving at all. Any Ideas?

Comment

Working...
                  X