Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jack fixture rust. How to remove so I can deal with the rocker?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jack fixture rust. How to remove so I can deal with the rocker?

I’m currently dealing with some rust on the rocker panels. I’ve cut out some gnarly pieces and plan to just fab some replacements since the iX skirts will cover this anyway so it doesn’t have to be perfect.

My question is how do I remove the jack fixture from the fixture bracket? I’ve searched high and low and can’t find any info. There doesnt seem to be any hardware connecting them except the rubber grommet ive mangled. I’ve tried banging on it but seems like it’s on there pretty good... Is there a trick to this I’m unaware of? Or do I just need to start applying heat and more force?

Ok went ahead and just went at this on my own. Turns out the fixture is just spot welded to the bracket on either side. Cut through those with a dremel or grinder and it pops right out. Maybe this helps someone else in the future.

Comment

Indeed it is spotwelded on to the bracket.

Got some more pictures on the rust repairs? :)
      1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
      1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

Boy do I ;-). I’ve been meaning to start a thread but so busy these days. Maybe when I finish all the bodywork. Here are a few other spots I did recently

Comment

When I saw the rocker removed I wondered if this would get done, but that's great progress!

Comment

Thanks. Here’s last night’s progress on the front rocker. I had to do a similar sized portion of the inner rocker but didnt get any pics.

Comment

front rocker done rear inner rocker and fender in progress

Comment

God I am glad I am not the only one going through extensive rust repair
                1989 325i LS Swap (Money Pit):https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=244933
                COTM Feb 2019: https://www.r3vlimited.com/board/sho...d.php?t=428404

Comment

The car I am about to purchase has the rocker bent inward, the seller tried to drill holes to pull it out but was unsuccessful, just made it worse looking. What is the best way to pull the rocker out? I am thinking of getting a few dent repair/pull tools to see if I can pull it back but I am not sure how successful I will be. Also, for the holes he made with the drill, is the best way to go just sand, bondo, sand and paint? All this is in the driver rockers.

I know this is a little off topic but since you are working on the rockers, I wonder if you had any suggestions.

PS. Damn good job on welding work- looks very good.

Comment

Working...
                  X