Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to remove the rubberized coating in wheel wells?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to remove the rubberized coating in wheel wells?

Working on some rust removal in the jack area of the trunk. Has anyone found an easy way to remove the rubberized coating on the tire side of the wheel well? Currently I'm using a 1/2 sander and a Dremel which are both tedious at best.
    2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Using an old woodchisel so you can scrape strips of coating off from the wheel wells, cleaning the remaining bits can be done with a wire wheel on an angle grinder/drill.
    1990 325iX Touring - November 2018 R3V Car Of The Month

1980 Volkswagen Golf mk1 1.1
    1974 BMW 2002 Touring

Instagram

Comment

A flap sanding disc may be the best way, but expect a few to get gunked up beyond salvation. You can also start with an extremely heavy duty wire wheel on a grinder.

Comment

My go to for this is a wire wheel on the end of a cordless drill. 3" is a good all around size and smaller diameter for more confined spaces.

It's a messy process but works fairly quickly.

Comment

To close this out, what worked for me was a 1/2 inch belt sander from Harbor Freight. Not real expensive tool, but worked real well in the small areas both in the wheel well and in the trunk area to prep for welding. The space was tight at times.
          2004 525i Manual - 1985 325E Coupe Manual

Comment

You need a “crud thug” which isn’t cheap, if you get it from snap on who coined that name… But there’s other equal, if not better versions that you can get through places like Eastwood.

Still not cheap, but maybe you can find someone in the autobody business that will loan you one . We got one where I work, just because my boss was cutting to be 30s and a half to make one good one out of the two, and I was chopping the tunnel out of mine to repair it

Comment

Working...
            X