Front Windshield and Rear Windscreen Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front Windshield and Rear Windscreen Replacement

Does anybody have the parts numbers needed to replace the front and rear windscreen

I do not need the part number for the actual glass...I have that, just the part numbers for anything else I need for the installation of both glass pieces.

Am I able to reuse the black rubber strip? It appears to be in good condition and doesn't warrant replacing.

I am a bit confused by the realoem diagram so any help would be much appreciated!

*And the taillight gasket and trunk rubber lining part #'s

(OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO) ///Motorsport
    In this world, things aren't black & white. Its Delphin!

Parts, Buy Them--> http://picasaweb.google.com/transatl...eat=directlink

Snowboard & video game stuff --> http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=148645

Originally posted by Steve92E34
    Your car is breathing my air, and so are you.
    AND you are both still slow

You can reuse the rubber gasket. I've found that the black locking strips can be reused, but the older chrome ones have to be replaced. Your's most likly has the faded out chrome locking strips. I'll put both links down.

#1 and 4 is the gaskets
    #2,5,and 6 are the locking strips. (Black)

#2,5, and 6 (chrome)

#3 is the tail light gasket

#2 for trunk lid gasket

1992 BMW 325iC
    1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
    1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

ooooooooh man you ARE the MAN.....thank you VERY much!!!!!!!!

Can I use black even it came with chrome stock?

(OO≡≡[][]≡≡OO) ///Motorsport
      In this world, things aren't black & white. Its Delphin!

Parts, Buy Them--> http://picasaweb.google.com/transatl...eat=directlink

Snowboard & video game stuff --> http://r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=148645

Originally posted by Steve92E34
      Your car is breathing my air, and so are you.
      AND you are both still slow

Comment

yes, but you'll have those small chrome pieces of trim for the corners of the back window and one for the center front. Just paint them black. Also, i put in used black locking strips in my 85, so if your looking to save some money, go to a junkyard and find a 88+ e30 and pop the locking strips out of it along with those small trim pieces.
        Last edited by JasonC; 06-15-2009, 08:21 PM.

1992 BMW 325iC
        1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
        1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

This thread is a little dated but,
          Both the front and rear glass just 'pop' right in/out with the gaskets when the strips are removed right?
          There's no adhesive or tar like seal?
          Namaste

Equal rights should be all or nothing, not picked and chosen based on what's convenient for ones personal agenda.

Comment

anyone?

Equal rights should be all or nothing, not picked and chosen based on what's convenient for ones personal agenda.

Comment

No adhesive on my front. If the glass has been replaced it is possible that someone may have glued it but not likely. Buy the lockstrip tool from bavauto the job is a bitch without it.

Comment

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by ethree View Post
                  No adhesive on my front. If the glass has been replaced it is possible that someone may have glued it but not likely. Buy the lockstrip tool from bavauto the job is a bitch without it.
                  I've done glass within 1 hour without the tool. In fact I prefer without the tool which I have from BMW when I worked there. when you remove the lock strip and pull the strip out one of two things will happen. Either yours are good and will be bendy or yours will break due to it being brittle. Most of the black ones keep their elasticity. Chrome breaks.

Before going ahead with the removal gently push on the glass around the top corners to loosen up the seal. it will be fairly tight. once you see movement on the glass gently press the glass along the corner and top edge ti'll it pushes through the seal. from the top and outside pull the glass away from the seal and it will release from the sides. Then lift it out.Make sure to clean out the seal trough as it will most likely be filled with lots of dirt and crap. Clean it well so that you'll have more allowable play for the new glass. Take the new glass and line up as best as possible-remember to clean it well first as it is much easier while out. Then lie the glass in from the bottom. Here is where it gets tricky. Have a can of silicon spray around and have two very small flat head screw drivers. you can use two or one and the silicon will help lubricate the rubber seal and glass and allow your screw driver to slide along the seal. first spray enough on the area, then push the head of the driver behind the seal and then pull up to bring the seal over the glass. Keep repeating the steps when you get to tough spots. As you make your way around from the bottom corner to the top you gotta work it a bit. Then across the top is easy to the next top corner and then down the side. Keep in mind you have room between the two corners and sides so you'll have to play around with the fitment. once the strip is in place the your lock strip and slide it on and you're done. Clean up the glass and good to go!

the rear works the same except that you have 2 pieces and corner lock strip a bit trickier to remove and replace without damaging.

good luck!
                  sigpic

Comment

where do i buy the glass? is it cheaper to go with the streamline suppliers or should i go OEM..? what do you all think?
                    sigpic

Comment

This is my question also--is PPG better than other aftermarket brands?

Also, how long should I wait to have it installed after getting the car painted?
                      Last edited by TrentW; 10-29-2010, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X