Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to bring oxidized mirrors back to life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to bring oxidized mirrors back to life?

I know there have been many threads about restoring trim to look good, what about the mirrors? They are made of that kind of black plastic that fades to a hazy gray color.

Just wondering if they could be sanded/wet sanded down so that layer of haze disappears, or the preferred method is painting them?

sand and paint
    -Andy

Comment

Yep, I would just paint them. What color is your car? If you don't want to deal with color matching, I recommend just a good sanding, and hit them with a few coats of DupliColor trim black.

Comment

Well... it depends. If they're from a non-metallic car I'd try using a polishing compound first: the haze MAY disappear without requiring further steps, though you'll have to repeat the process, carefully, fairly often.

Comment

delphin-metallic, and yeah the mirror is plastic, but I think the base where it mounts to the car is metal?

Comment

Yes - it is. And if it's metallic there are very few options. You can TRY polishing it, but if the clearcoat starts to peel, you'll have to break out the spraygun.

Comment

plasti-dip those bitches.
              -Paolo
              1986 325e RIP.
              1989 525i
              1986 635CSI

Comment

I have used trim paint. after a good sanding, then a couple light coats... they look remarkable
                sigpic
                "evil always prevails....because good is dumb"

Comment

sand them with some 400 grit paper then spray bomb semi gloss black. or the dupli trim black. i just use the semi gloss for everything i buy it buy the case.

Comment

Originally posted by THE FEZMAN View Post
                    sand them with some 400 grit paper then spray bomb semi gloss black. or the dupli trim black. i just use the semi gloss for everything i buy it buy the case.
                    I was gonna duplicolor my mirrors and front bumper next weekend. Wouldn't be too hard to get a decent finish but would 400 be too rough? I was just thinking scotchbrite or something like 1600-2000 paper.
                    sigpic

Comment

id do 400, 1000, 1500 for a nice finish, you could do 800 in between if you're anal. SEM paint holds stronger against chips in my experience with trim paint.
                      CALI FS: new JOMS, Ellips, late model bumpers and valence, ZHP knob, 2.5 z4 shifter, Enkei rims
                      ttp://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=262062

Comment

anything over 600 is a waste, 800 + is for "color sanding" 400 is fine to paint over, when im painting cars i never bother to go over 320 if im going to color over it, my "blend panels" i will hit with 600 or 1000 depending on the color. but they only ever get two coats of clear.

Last edited by THE FEZMAN; 07-16-2010, 05:08 PM.

Comment

i sprayed this stuff called shine n go. it brought the color right back in mine

Comment

Working...
                          X